#1 12-06-20 15:08

McAlec

NEXUS07/7ONEPRCNT

Last edited by McAlec (12-06-20 15:08)

#2 12-06-21 14:41

Parkaboy73
Banned

Re: NEXUS07/7ONEPRCNT

Four and four seems like 8. If it were 16, it might have been "four times four" or "four by four." We have to "FIND" the "FILES FUNDAMENTAL FOR FUTURE." You could be onto the task McAlec. Does anyone else have an idea?

#3 12-06-21 22:50

#4 12-06-22 08:27

Parkaboy73
Banned

The drop sites included those strange poems and the Citibank Plutonomy memo on a flash drive. McAlec summarized parts of the memo and emailed them back to Nex.

That's a really interesting theory, genericboringposter. Are you suggesting that there is a 1% vs. 99% regardless of historical conditions? So that even when an especially greedy investment bank is taken down, another comes in to take its spot?

If we do actually create MetaCorp (or if we might), how do we keep that from happening? Are there multiple possible futures? Has anything so far suggested different paths? Or do we just have a system with a narrow range of possible compositions? Also, how is Nex connected to MetaCorp?

#5 12-06-22 21:09

Right, we never found things in around 2/3 of the drop sites, and I'm not sure what has become or should become of those things - were they the same documents at each site?

I don't think that another "especially greedy investment bank" comes to immediately take the spot of one that is taken down. But inevitably, once a group with money and power topples, a new group rises to take its place. The military-industrial-political complex took over during or after World War II; some time before that, robber barons; some time before that, people with large amounts of land. If (or when?) the future moves towards a post-financial world, the people in charge of that are going to be the people in charge. I find it more likely that those people are not especially enthralled with the current financial industry than that those people are tools of the current financial industry. But what happens when those people take power? Will they not want to hold on to their power? Will they not have greater means to do so?

You do raise a point about multiple possible futures. Clearly the intersection of the present spacetime with this hypothetical future provides a bidirectional transition of information entropy (wow, that sounds incredibly opaque); perhaps it is possible for us, with this foreknowledge, to attempt to forestall the rise of MetaCorp, but is it possible for others without this foreknowledge?

As to your last question, I'm not entirely sure. One possibility, which I've written about earlier, is that Nex is either A. or James Powell or both. An individual working from within MetaCorp to sabotage it. Only someone with a true understanding of MetaCorp's power and ability to use said power would be able to violate known laws of physics with "histrionic transmissions" and guide us through each level. Only someone with a true understanding of MetaCorp's intentions would want to use that power to warn us.

#6 12-06-26 21:11

McAlec

Last edited by McAlec (12-06-26 21:14)

#7 12-06-27 03:32

Last edited by girlwhoruledtheworld (12-06-27 08:38)

#8 12-06-27 06:34

McAlec

I think you're on the right track, Girlwhoruledtheworld. I'm trying it myself with the mac equivalent (Cyberduck, for those interested in trying for themselves) now.

EDIT: It recognizes the network, but I am likewise denied access. I'm skeptical of the username as well, since it bounced my test email.

I've tried replacing the 4's with combinations of FOUR and FOR, but it still doesn't work.
Also tried the first email address we were given: email_em_eight_eight-entity_exegeses@speculat1on.net. Didn't work either.

Last edited by McAlec (12-06-27 06:58)

#9 12-06-27 08:38

I tried again and used the whole FTP_4_4_FILES_FOR_FUTURE@SPECULAT1ON.NET and I was able to log in somewhere. There's only one file called .ftpquota but its got nothing in it except two 0's when I open it in a notepad. I don't know if this is what we're suppose to be looking at?

#10 12-06-27 13:21

Hoof

Hm...I tried it in FileZilla with the FTP_4_4_FILES_FOR_FUTURE@SPECULAT1ON.NET user name and didn't see the .fptquota file, but I did decide to leave a little note behind :)

I uploaded a file called Hello.txt containing the message "Is anybody there?"

Maybe something will happen?

#11 12-06-27 19:52

McAlec

I believe that this is our new way of communicating with NEX (or whoever is behind all this). The fact that the email address doesn't work seems to validate my point as well.

Looks like we need to upload four documents ("WHO", "WHAT", "WHERE", and "WHY") to the server, each answering their title question. This probably means that we still need to answer the questions ourselves.

Last edited by McAlec (12-06-27 19:59)

#12 12-06-30 10:11

Parkaboy73
Banned

So this is roughly what we've decided: there are likely 8 "FILES FUNDAMENTAL FOR FUTURE." And we know we have to probably upload them to the server, as McAlec pointed out. Are we thinking it will be 2 files per question?

The main question is: "WHAT/WHAT/WHERE/WHY CREATED CONDITIONS FOR COLLAPSE?" Our task then seems to be "HELP HUMANITY'S HISTORICAL HORIZON BY BUILDING BROKEN BACKSTORY."

Since this is in the same section that previously included the Citibank Plutonomy memo, maybe the "files" we have to put together should resemble that. Or maybe they can be more speculative, as long as they somehow "help humanity's historical horizon." Does anyone have an idea for a file worth including? We might as well add something and see what happens.

#13 12-06-30 10:19

McAlec

Last edited by McAlec (12-06-30 18:58)

#14 12-07-03 10:39

Parkaboy73
Banned

What 8 files should we upload to the "time-capsule"? That seems to be the main part of this challenge.

#15 12-07-08 14:47

McAlec

I'm still not sure if we need to find other files that have to do with this or make up our own.

I'll look around for something to upload. Hopefully, we'll get some indicator of being on the right track or not.

#16 12-07-19 05:07

Any progress with this one? Why don't we start to write about the who/what/where/why etc., upload it in text files and see if we get more of a response?

#17 12-07-25 21:47

Parkaboy73
Banned

So it looks as if we need to upload text files here. Has anyone tried uploading one yet?

What do we know? We have to "FIND" the "FILES FUNDAMENTAL FOR FUTURE." And this is some kind of "TIME_CAPSULE." Do we have a sense if it matters whether we find or create files for this? Should we start experimenting?

#18 12-07-26 07:45

I uploaded some random files, not sure if its on the right track. For some reason Parkaboy your post suddenly reminded me of The Time Machine, where the main character takes some books with him to the future.

#19 12-07-26 19:26

afoolsuchasi

So, question: I haven't been on too many puzzles here, but the ecoearth one seemed to have a pretty explicit "send this answer, receive this clue" formula. Have any puzzles been more freeform like "send something written generally on this topic, receive this clue"? Any progress on this puzzle?

As a side curiosity, I see a bit of speculation about the story in this thread. Has an understanding (or assumpitons about) the story ever been necessary to figure out a puzzle? ie have any puzzles been tied to the plot like knowing who James Powell is, or are they all just isolated clue hunting? It seems like a game where 'progress' is somehow tied to understanding (or generating a plausible) narrative could be pretty trippy indeed.

#20 12-07-27 05:44

Last edited by girlwhoruledtheworld (12-07-28 01:41)

#21 12-07-27 22:51

afoolsuchasi

So I suppose we summarize significant stories and upload the summaries. I see a ?.txt that seems to summarize 2 stories. Did one of us upload that? Do we suspect it's necessary to do in pairs and/or with alliteration?

#22 12-07-28 01:46

Yeah I found two stories, summarised and uploaded to see if it was going in the right direction. McAlec has done this before for another level- I think alliteration is needed and I just picked two random stories.

#23 12-07-28 13:30

Parkaboy73
Banned

#24 12-07-28 23:42

I think we may have to summarise the stories and upload them (e.g. pdfs, docs?), according to the newest readme file. Can someone else upload files too just to get this task moving along? :) I've only been finding files from the 2008 financial crisis.

Last edited by girlwhoruledtheworld (12-07-28 23:42)

#25 12-07-29 22:44

afoolsuchasi

My interpretation of README3 is that we need primary papers (scholarly analyses) of the crash as per the paper linked in README2. ! is a standard logical operator for "not" in many programming languages, so I'm reading that as .pdfs, not periodicals. Ill try my hand in a bit.

Board footer