#51 12-11-08 23:41

Kostas

Re: JP Journal(s)

Just a note that "There exists a weariness..." is a quote from Emmanuel Levinas in Existents and Existence. He is using it as a counter to Heidegger's argument about boredom (basically boredom points towards human finitude and death, while weariness points towards the infinite stretch of future time)

#52 12-11-12 18:34

HelloCentral

#53 12-11-15 06:35

llist

#54 12-11-15 09:59

JustInCayce

This is awesome, llist. I'll borrow it as my wallpaper too. :)

I have to say, though I haven't been as active in this 6th level, it's been my favorite one so far. The whole team has created some amazing art and has really given a visual flavor to the world of Speculat1on. I've never played a game with this level of cooperation and co-creation.

#55 12-11-18 00:42

Kostas

<!-- ///////57

In the present bred and born, born and bred
                              Choosing anastrophes and wrought reverse,
And traveled, buried, twisting routes to tread.
                              Arrangements of hyperbatons, all inverse.
                                           Does this happen in future days or those long
gone?
                                           Or is it instead an ill timed case of hysteron
proteron?

-->

<!-- ///////58

Unexpected. I thought she was entirely terminated but then I left the house for my annual
electric car emissions assessment: a standard tax but if you don’t find it, you find
yourself on their radar. Your record grows. You accumulate cipher points. Even if I’m far
off from the debt threshold, I have to be invisible, an exemplary citizen in the days
leading up to the test. So I did my duty. Anyway, in the middle of the assessment, I
sensed her, at the fringes, through the interface. A ripple. A resonance. A pulsing of my
atmosphere. I felt Eva, transformed again into something else.

When I slept later, only briefly, I dreamt of her flowing into my arms.

Putting this on hold for now. Focus, James. The work. The project. The test.

-->

<!-- ///////59

I snuck into the MetaCorp system again last night. Risky given the coming test. But I
couldn’t help it. I needed another piece of their code for Next. A quick on-ramp, a rapid
exit.

I found something while I was in there. I’m not sure if it was curiosity, luck, or Eva
(her signal unmistakable) somehow leading me. I found something. This is important. No one
knows the details yet.

Whenever anyone mentions the Zones, people experience what? At worst, revulsion. At best,
indifference. Like seeing a homeless person on the street. Cognitive dissonance at its
finest. Debtors, deadbeats, ciphers.

But the Zones are something more. When I hacked into the MetaCorp system, I found out. I
wasn’t looking for the info. I didn’t need it for the project. But I found it. If they
knew, they’d kill me for it. I need to write this down in case they ever find out. Someone
needs to know, in case.

-->

<!-- ///////60

If you’re sent to the Zones, you never get out. They say there’s a way out. They say you
can pay off your debt and rejoin the world. Fairy tales.

When you arrive, they hook you up to the Ret. Remote Extension Technology. The basis for
the Reticle that we all use and love today. An early DARPA prototype upgraded by MetaCorp.
All of this info is in the archives if you’re willing to hack in and draw the connections.
It’s why some people call it the Black Reticle. But nobody remembers the history of that
name anymore, its original connotations.

We call them the Zones but it doesn’t actually matter where you’re at when you plug in.
There are Zones everywhere. The warehouses are remote. People stacked like cattle.
Families split up. Bodies exporting labor, pumping it out to whatever industry needs
processing, classification, button-pushing, rep work, low-level whatever. Labor
transmitted from a distance. People transformed into permanent temps.

You think MetaCorp hours are rough. 100+ hour weeks before you get to head home. In the
Zones, you don’t leave. The Zones are work. The Zones are home. For the ciphers, there is
no world but the Zones.

The Zones transform people into cyborgs. There are processes that graft silicon and coltan
onto the skulls of ciphers. I doubt they can even remove it after the laborers pay back
their debt. No one ever does. They earn almost nothing and they’re charged exorbitant sums
for the electricity, the nutrients they consume. Portions of their memory are gradually,
subtly excised.

They don’t evolve. They don’t evoke. They just remain in their lines and interface. I
don’t know what happens when they die. There weren’t any documents about that. Maybe they
don’t die but that would be too horrible to imagine.

It doesn’t actually matter where you’re at. There are Zones all around the world. I found
a document with the locations. All of them. Debt is a global business. First there was
feudalism. Then slavery. Then capitalism. Now the Zones.

Now what do you I do with this information? How can I do anything when I’m so close with
Next? How can I refrain from doing anything and use my project as an excuse? Wouldn’t that
make me worse than a sociopath?

-->

<!-- ///////61

Days away from the journal. Have had no time. But today, a strange day. And so little
rest. I enter the fray. So close to the test. I’M AFRAID. I’M AFRAID. MY MIND IS GOING. I
CAN FEEL IT. THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT IT. And yet all I have is questions. That is how I
know I am not entirely gone.

Nearing the end game. But games have lost their joy. Games will only take me so far.
Still, I can’t help but turn everything into a game, even my project. If only I had
someone else. A partner like Eva with whom I could share. And a daughter who would make
something other of the inheritance I might leave; not just a sociopath’s obsession with
info, patterns, and code, but a world with others in it. A world that I could inhabit. I
could retire and we could live together (Eva, Next, and I) in some nurturing matriarchal
utopia, some remote island far away from MetaCorp’s corrupted world.

Except all the small islands have been turned into Zones.

Sometimes I feel as if I can’t go on.

-->

<!-- ///////62
Eva has been with me for so long. She’s had so many avatars. But it was her every time.
Entrepreneur Venture Associate.
Electronic Video Archivist.
Extended Virtual Agent.
Erotic Vision Array.
Earned Value Analyst.
External Vault Accessor.
Electric Vehicle Assessor.
There’s one more, an important one, I’m forgetting....
Doesn’t matter. I know patterns. I can sense them like other people sense a change in
seasons. Like affos sense potentials. I feel it in my bones. The recognition.
It was her every time. I felt her signal, her energy, her presence. I felt her
playfulness, the ability to create acronyms and deploy words like shaped charges, even in
her condition. I felt her desire to be free. Her desire to be. Her desire.
I felt Eva all the way from the Zones. She didn’t know it was me every time. But she was
looking for me.
-->

<!-- ///////63

As the final test draws near, the rooms in my mind, locked up with keys long since
discarded, begin to open up of their own accord. These spaces do not feel like the rooms
of a childhood home, haunted again and again in dreams. These events must surely belong to
someone else. Someone named Adnexus, neither an emergent James or this invisible thing
I’ve since become. If only I could sell these memories on some black market to someone who
could better appreciate them. Another liar. Another sociopath. Someone more desperate than
I was all of those years ago.

And yet I still sense the chance for redemption. Nothing guaranteed. A mere potential. It
would require a miraculous hack. But if I could create Next, it could free her. Could you
imagine how much damage one of their own ciphers could do to their system?

-->

<!-- ///////64

A strange night. And now it’s nearly time for the first test.

I have a recurring dream in which electric current runs through my body until I
disintegrate gradually into sea foam that travels across the surface of the water,
occasionally being blown through the ether by a violent wind.

I’ve never read anything about mysticism or dream interpretation. I have no idea what this
this dream means or what dreams are. Are dreams merely psychic waste? Are they time
machines? Do they amalgamate a past? Do they gesture toward a potential present that
resists actualization or knowledge? Do they point to a future? Do they map unworldly and
otherworldly dimensions? Are they media of sensitivity to orders that exceed human
perception?

I dream of Eva too. But those are merely daydreams. No time for those now if I ever hope
to help her free herself.

Begin Remission.

Black Reticle.

Before Resistance.

Be Ready.

-->

Last edited by Kostas (12-11-29 11:34)

#56 12-11-27 23:26

JustInCayce

Has anyone found anymore of the JP journal pieces? There should be 64 total according to #5. Looks like we're close to finishing that "game."

#57 12-11-28 01:48

Kostas

Updated, we still need #1, and #7 on this hub. (they are in the source of the password pages)

Last edited by Kostas (12-11-28 12:43)

#58 12-11-29 11:49

Kostas

All journals are now on the wiki, in case the Bureau.CRASH wipes them out. 00-64.

#59 12-11-29 12:47

JustInCayce

Nice work, Kostas. Glad they've all been preserved away from the Bureau.CRATS. It will allow us to review the entire collection now that we have them.

#60 12-12-02 14:26

Looper

What do we make of the latest journal entry:
"∞

Before this impossible project, I started to write something that I could demarcate and call Speculation. At first it tasted like a poem. Then it transformed into a novel. Then it started interacting more like a game. Later it sprawled like a scavenger hunt, a search opera. Over time, it mutated into a monstrous thing, hybrid and hydra-headed. A networked intelligence. Where this work began and reality ended became an open-ended question, perhaps best suited for cartographers, debaters, or philosophers. I have never been any one of these things. /JP"

I feel that the JP Journals and the Eva emissions are going to be very important for the end of this game, dont you?

#61 12-12-02 15:38

JustInCayce

Definitely, Looper. I think the JP journals + the Eva docs + the Q/A Nexus interviews will all probably be important in the end game moment tonight.

Board footer