#26 12-10-26 01:47

donsoze

Re: EVA Emission(s)

#27 12-10-26 07:59

JustInCayce

If Nex isn't a human person (in any sense), are male and female the only gender options? Could it be passing as a she in some contexts and not others? Could Nex's gender be particularly unstable?

#28 12-10-26 10:35

mercury154

#29 12-10-26 11:46

mercury154

Oops.  Forgot the Facebook bit.  Are we certain that the Facebook page is legit? If we are certain, please link to it. The only reason I question its validity is that the main portions of legitimate material as it pertains to this game seem largely to be centrally located within this website.

#30 12-10-26 12:05

mercury154

Last edited by mercury154 (12-10-26 12:08)

#31 12-10-27 15:25

ruletheworld

Last edited by ruletheworld (12-10-27 15:25)

#32 12-10-28 15:13

rhyneking

Hi all,

I just wrote this for the class at Duke.  I think it is relevant to this conversation:

Understanding Eva: An Intertextual Approach

Speculat1ons generally, and JP’s journal entries more specifically, constantly references other works of literature.  This should not be surprising, considering that literature students developed the game and that JP himself received a B.A. in English.  The works referenced are various and many: from 1984 to Moby Dick, from Saturday Night Live to The Shining—it is clear that JP is very well read.  The plot and themes of Speculat1ons are certainly influenced more by some works (e.g. 1984) than others (e.g. SNL).  Moreover, the mysterious character of Eva also draws heavy inspiration from certain works, Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner, William Gibson’s Neuromancer, and The Bible, and by comparing JP’s journal entries with these other works, we can gleam more knowledge about Eva.

The Bible’s influence on the character of Eva is more obvious than the influence of the other two works, as it is explicitly discussed in JP’s journal entry 21.  “Eva” is of course related to the “Eve” of the story of creation from the book of Genesis.  Eve’s significance in the Bible is that of being the first woman, and this is a motif heavily repeated throughout Western art.  Perhaps, this makes JP “Adam,” the first man; perhaps it does not.  I suspect later journal entries will make this clearer.

It is possibly over-extrapolation when I say that the character of Eva is influenced by Blade Runner and Neuromancer.  However, it is unarguable that Speculat1ons draws heavy inspiration from the genre of cyberpunk, and Blade Runner and Neuromancer are perhaps the two most influential works in the genre.  Moreover, JP quotes (with some alterations) the opening line of Neuromancer in his first journal entry, when he says, “The sky above the north tower was the color of a reticle, projected onto a dead world;” in journal 4, Eva is said to be in the “unforgiving south tower,” clearly referring back to this earlier quotation.  Additionally Blade Runner can be abbreviated as “BR,” a common motive woven throughout the game, and I highly doubt that this is coincidental. 

Most important, however, is the fact that Blade Runner and Neuromancer both contain female characters that are neither fully human nor fully machine, a state that I believe Eva possesses.  One of the main characters of Neuromancer is “Molly Millions,” a human woman who has been heavily augmented by cybernetic modifications so that she blurs the distinction between “human” and “non-human.”  Moreover in the novel, Molly frequently enters the “Matrix,” a virtual reality space where humans and AIs can interact.  In the film Blade Runner, one of the main characters, “Rachael,” is a “replicant,” or android.  Rachael is even more human than most replicants of the Blade Runner universe are because she possesses the memories of another human.  In both the cases of Molly and Rachael, the distinction between “human” and “machine” is extremely blurred.

Likewise, the imagery which JP uses to describe Eva suggests that she is a mix between human and non-human, and perhaps reality and virtual reality.  The sentence “I dreamed of Eva flying through the sky toward me, beautiful, resplendent, like electric current flowing through the ether,” certainly indicates a physical form, but the “electric current” simile also suggests something mechanical.  Other journal entries provide similar (seeming) contradictions.  Therefore, after an intertextual comparison, I believe that Eva is neither human nor non-human: she is both.  She may even be the first of her kind, hence the Biblical reference with the name “Eva.”

#33 12-10-29 09:46

gasmoney

Thanks so much for posting that Rhyneking! Great analysis. I think that Eva as "the first of her kind" is a really useful idea.

Also. Did someone on the forum make this thread a sticky? Or is this the doing of NEX?

Also note the name change! I believe it was titled EVA - now it's EVA Emission(s). PS: Emission means to "put forth" or to "circulate, as in a bill" according to the OED. My favorite definition? "The action of giving off radiation or particles; a flow of electrons from a cathode-ray tube or other source." Seems pertinent to Rhyneking's observation about EVA and the electronic current metaphor...

#34 12-10-29 20:07

asherah

#35 12-10-30 00:05

mercury154

#36 12-10-30 00:08

mercury154

BTW, Eva also stands for something else that seems somewhat related to this all--Earned Value Analysis.  Which is also known as the following:

Earned value management (EVM), or Earned value project/performance management (EVPM) is a project management technique for measuring project performance and progress in an objective manner.

#37 12-10-31 22:29

Smeliot

#38 12-11-02 10:32

gasmoney

+EVA00017++EVA00018++EVA00019++EVA00020++EVA00021++EVA00022++EVA000LOGIEVA00024+
|        ||        ||        ||        ||OILINGLOIN        ||    GO    GGLING  |
|        ||   GING || ILL    ||    NING||        ||ON      ||   I   ON    IN   |
|        ||  N     ||    NI  ||  LI    ||        ||   INNING|  G         G     |
|    IN  || O      ||      LL||IN      ||        ||        |NON   NO   O       |
|   G  L ||    OING||        ||        ||GIGGLING||        ||        L         |
|  O GI  ||   G    || L      ||      NG||        LINE      ||        O         |
| LOG  N ||  N     ||  OG    ||   GLI  ||        ||  LOONNOGGIN        G       |
|       G|| O      ||    GING||GOO     ||        ||        ||  NOON      IN    |
+--------++--------++--------++--------++--------++--------++------ONIONING----+

#39 12-11-08 01:06

mercury154

+EVA00017++EVA00018++EVA00019++EVA00020++EVA00021++EVA00022++EVA000LOGIEVA00024+
|        ||        ||        ||        ||OILINGLOIN        ||    GO    GGLING  |
|        ||   GING || ILL    ||    NING||        ||ON      ||   I   ON    IN   |
|        ||  N     ||    NI  ||  LI    ||        ||   INNING|  G         G     |
|    IN  || O      ||      LL||IN      ||        ||        |NON   NO   O       |
|   G  L ||    OING||        ||        ||GIGGLING||        ||        L         |
|  O GI  ||   G    || L      ||      NG||        LINE      ||        O         |
| LOG  N ||  N     ||  OG    ||   GLI  ||        ||  LOONNOGGIN        G       |
|       G|| O      ||    GING||GOO     ||        ||        ||  NOON      IN    |
+--------++--------++--------++--------++--------++--------++------ONIONING----+

#40 12-11-08 08:45

JustInCayce

No idea what to make of this either. Though it does seem as if there's at least a parallel with JP's journal. These 8 pieces look like a long, longing, login, googling snake.

#41 12-11-29 14:02

gasmoney

ADD YOU ASCII IMAGE FROM YOUR EMAIL AND POST IT HERE. I WILL COLLATE BY NUMBER.

+EVA000|5+
|      | |
|      | |
VA <------
|     .+'|
----+'   |
| .'   . |
-+  .    .
|.   . . |
+-.---.--+
+EVA00025+
|        |
|   +---->
|   |    |
|   +-----
|        |
|Entrepren
|Venture |
|Associate
+--------+
+EVA00027+
c        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|Extended|
|Virtual |
|Agent <--
-------+ |
+EVA00028+
|        |
|        |
|Erotic  |
|Vision  |
|Array <--
|        |
-----+   |
|    |   |
+----|---+
+EVA00029+
|Earned  |
|Value  <-
|Analyst |
|      +--
-----+ | |
|    | | |
| +----+ |
| |  |   |
+-|--|---+
+------|-+
+EVA00038+
|        |
----------
.        |
|'-+------
|   '.   |
.    .'+--
|.   . ..:
.   . ....
..--.-....
+EVA|0039+
|   |    |
------> EV
|   |    |
----------
|   |    |
----------
.   |    |
:+--------
:IA.|----+
+EV|00040+
|  |     |
A  |     |
|  |     |
---+     |
|        |
-> EVA   |
|        |
---> EVA |
+--------+ 

Last edited by gasmoney (12-11-29 15:27)

#42 12-11-29 14:08

Kostas

+EVA000|5+
|      | |
|      | |
VA <------
|     .+'|
----+'   |
| .'   . |
-+  .    .
|.   . . |
+-.---.--+

+EVA00038+
|        |
----------
.        |
|'-+------
|   '.   |
.    .'+--
|.   . ..:
.   . ....
..--.-....

+EVA00025+
|        |
|   +---->
|   |    |
|   +-----
|        |
|Entrepren
|Venture |
|Associate
+--------+

#43 12-11-29 14:11

asherah

+EVA|0039+
|   |    |
------> EV
|   |    |
----------
|   |    |
----------
.   |    |
:+--------
:IA.|----+

#44 12-11-29 14:39

Mr.Va

+EVA00027+
c        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|Extended|
|Virtual |
|Agent <--
-------+ |
+------|-+

#45 12-11-29 14:46

thisisaname

#46 12-11-29 15:09

gasmoney

+EVA00025+
|        |
|   +---->
|   |    |
|   +-----
|        |
|Entrepren
|Venture |
|Associate
+--------+
+EVA00029+
|Earned  |
|Value  <-
|Analyst |
|      +--
-----+ | |
|    | | |
| +----+ |
| |  |   |
+-|--|---+
+EV|00040+
|  |     |
A  |     |
|  |     |
---+     |
|        |
-> EVA   |
|        |
---> EVA |
+--------+

#47 12-11-29 15:21

Foll

+EV|00040+
|  |     |
A  |     |
|  |     |
---+     |
|        |
-> EVA   |
|        |
---> EVA |
+--------+ 

#48 12-11-29 15:21

PrincessA

+EV|00040+
|  |     |
A  |     |
|  |     |
---+     |
|        |
-> EVA   |
|        |
---> EVA |
+--------+

#49 12-11-29 15:22

Foll

Wait what the hell?  We got the same one? Either someone is seriously fucking with us, or that is just strange mistake/coincidence.

#50 12-11-29 15:22

JustInCayce

I don't know which ones are repeating yet but here's the one I received:

+EVA000|5+
|      | |
|      | |
VA <------
|     .+'|
----+'   |
| .'   . |
-+  .    .