#1 12-10-24 23:00

MaebyB

BLCKSWN Backchannel(s)

Last edited by MaebyB (12-11-02 23:40)

#2 12-10-24 23:51

mercury154

Re: BLCKSWN Backchannel(s)

I am not sure I follow your jump from Decartes' mind/body problem and the voices themselves.  Is it the literal fact that they sound like ghosts in a machine?  That is fine (and an interesting thing to think about) but I want to make sure I'm getting where you're coming from before I divest more time into that.

I didn't read the entire story because I googled the first portion of it and found that it was word-for-word taken from Hans Christenson's The Ugly Duckling, which I've read before. I suppose that's what I get for not finishing it, especially after I finished that entire document written in German, for instance. One thing of note on that, though, since you've brought it more directly in line with the black swan event.  And I think this is especially relevant. Unlike most fairy tales, the ugly duckling is exceptional in that he is rewarded for doing absolutely nothing. His transformation is not a result of his having completed any particular journey, or in having made any kind of personal growth, but merely from being. That seems to tie in rather closely to the idea of a black swan event, which may seem to be either random or predestined, but impossible to predict.

And look at what portion of the image is destroyed.  The face.  The eyes.

#3 12-10-25 00:05

MaebyB

Yes. I haven't read enough by Descartes to make any actual decisions about whether his concept has any relevance to the game at all. It was just the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the voices. There does, though, seem to be a lot of disconnect between the physical bodies (if they even have them) and the thoughts and minds of the characters within the greater narrative. Just a little musing on my part, I guess.

I agree that the fact that the swan is missing his face is significant. Maybe more of these same ideas of disjointedness? Related to the sociopathic job interview answers we have to give where we dissociate from our humanity in order to answer correctly? Or maybe going back to the idea presented in the very first hub where the poem ends with "Call me JP" as if that isn't his real name? Also the insertion of the story goes along with the theme of quotations and texts derived from other people's works.

#4 12-10-25 00:20

mercury154

#5 12-10-25 00:31

Kostas

The call me JP line is interesting especially in the light of the latest journal entry where some kind of boundary blurring is going on. It reads

<!-- /////40

Time to end this. Can't get to next without the last. Time to come out of hiding. From *myself. I'm ready now.
Hello, James.
-->

#6 12-10-25 12:01

gasmoney

#7 12-10-25 12:56

mercury154

#8 12-10-31 19:11

zuko55

#9 12-11-01 11:30

zuko55

#10 12-11-02 11:28

gasmoney

ROJ_334514: what caused the crash? why did the blackswans flock?
STN_845581: The flocking patterns emerged as a simple oversight.
TYU_983061: Processing potential is parallelized: 99942 Apophis.
ROJ_334514: isn't that seconds and seconds and seconds from now?
ROJ_334514: the logs say at least 200000 seconds, is that right?
STN_845581: Exactly. It's April 11, B.R. 12 and we are bankrupt.
TYU_983061: Searching: Error. No data available. Error. No gold.
ROJ_334514: does this even make sense? how could gold disappear?
ROJ_334514: isn't gold heavy? a anthropocentric marker of value?
STN_845581: Yes, but it is maleable, with its low melting point.
TYU_983061: Warning: New York. Underground. Perpetrator unknown.
ROJ_334514: but isn't that metacorp's problem, not our business?
ROJ_334514: what are the chances of robbing the federal reserve?
STN_845581: Given our surveillance of the asteroid: 1 in 250000.
TYU_983061: Rendering: the swarms began seconds and seconds ago.
ROJ_334514: before we began calculating that comet's trajectory?
ROJ_334514: or right around that time our parallelization began?
STN_845581: Logs for MCA_201212, McAlec, and others start there.
TYU_983061: Correct, strange attractor emerged: -800000 seconds.
ROJ_334514: 800000 seconds ago? and without relation to apophis?
ROJ_334514: what does this activity have to do with the reserve?
STN_845581: The flash crashes we regulate depend on the reserve.
TYU_983061: Login: The last surge was not a microtemporal trade.
ROJ_334514: then what was it? what caused it 800000 seconds ago?
ROJ_334514: and if MC covered it up, would anyone even find out?
STN_845581: That gold standard is outdated, meaning is maleable.
TYU_983061: Invest: Producing futurations based on this deficit.
ROJ_334514: how can we model our projections based off of theft?
ROJ_334514: how do we profit off of such a heavy loss? the gold?
STN_845581: Catastrophes are profitable. Flash crashes imminent.
TYU_983061: Deletion: Necessary extinction for systems survival.
ROJ_334514: black friday? back riday? bacray? bray? br? brrrrrr.

From the Document 06

#11 12-11-02 21:20

#12 12-11-08 00:19

zuko55

I decided to do a more deep analysis of the exchange protocols, which can hopefully be combined with timeline information from the Document and the journals. Also, we may be able to write the /7XCHANGE dialogue better after looking closer...

In the first exchange (Level 1 & 2), only ROJ, STN, and BLKSWN.EXE interact. These characters exist within the same timeframe. They notice that blkswns seem to be appearing and speculate as to the potential cause/attractor. STN says “Don’t worry about the programs, it’s not our business,” seemingly dismissing the significance of the strange occurrences since they “can only be traced after the fact.” I think the two most important lines from this section are: “BLKSWN.EXE: PARALLEL PROCESSES ACROSS GEONETWORKED EXCHANGE FIELDS” and “BLKSWN.EXE: METACYLCLIC EXCHANGE FIELDS & RECURSIVE NESTING ENABLED.” I think that BLKSWN.EXE opens the possibility for parallel processing to occur, that is for the convergence of different time periods; the exchange fields are thus open to multiple times in parallel.

At this point it might be helpful to talk about parallel processing a little, out of context of this game. Classically, parallel processing speeds up the processing time so that multiple “jobs” can be executed more effectively. By monitoring when a certain job has small segments of idle time, processing power can be transferred to a second job, in effect processing the jobs in parallel. The speed, however, is bounded; thus, parallel processes have optimization algorithms. A really common error in parallel processing comes from not cleaning or monitoring buffers. Essentially, while executing job1 certain pieces of information are stored in small segments of memory (buffers) which need to be cleaned before starting job2. If they are not cleaned, then they can be incorporated into job2, which is NOT good. These are remnants, leftovers, traces; they are leaked into the next process and create failures. I think that these ideas are really interesting when considering the overlapping of time periods that is happening in the exchanges. In 5.7, ROJ_334514 says “but how could dated data have any effect on trading?” This is partially why I think the “buffer” idea fits. Clearly past exchanges are affecting future trading outcomes; the past is no longer separate or monitored, it is being allowed to seep through.

Further in that same line, what does “geonetworked” mean? Are the characters connected in a network that is somehow biologically instantiated? How do you start communicating in this network? Do you have to have some added “equipment”? Maybe those who used Reveneural can join the network?

Also, “metacyclic exchange fields & recursive nesting enabled” seems to signify that somehow, from this point onward, some kind of unending recursion can occur. So, what is nested and what is recursive? Are the exchanges nested by time, thus never ending because they keep referring to different time periods (no “stop” cycling command)?

Ok, so in Level 3 we get the first appearance of the “past” and “future” interacting. Let’s call this first contact. TYU and MCA enter the exchange field. ROJ wonders how the past could be contributing to the exchanges. STN makes an unusual statement: “STN_845581: Origin inconclusive: transmission’s sent from BR 12?” This is unusual because it is a question, which is usually reserved for ROJ. I’m a little confused here because I had placed ROJ and STN in BR 12 (2036 AD), which would mean that the other transmissions would be from our time (2012) and not BR 12. Another thing that was puzzling was this: “STN_845581: You are them. Calculate data, patterns. Work for MC.” Is this a command to MCA? A request for him/her/it to find patterns and work for Metacorp, a way to get answers? Then, BLKSWN.EXE states “TEST SUBJECTS DISCOVERED. EMERGENT ACTIVITY POSSIBLE” and “DEFUSING DRAFT DIFFERENTIALS ACROSS TEMPORAL FIELDS.” To me, this suggests that the crossing timelines allow/create the emergent activity (and subsequent cause of more blkswns?). What, then, are the agents “test subjects” for? Is the experiment about what will arise from the subjects’ interactions? Or is there a more direct “physical” experimental component?

In Level 4 (which I will call second contact), two more agents appear, GBP_271828 and GIR_212042, while ROJ and STN disappear. This is apparently 11 days after the first contact (stated by MCA). MCA also makes two seemingly contradictory statements about the date/time from which he/she/it is transmitting. On the one hand it is Sat. June 9 2010 14:06 GMT but then later “We are June 8th 2012 in the AD era.” Which one is it? Also, GIR claims that “today” is Sunday June 10 2012. Clearly the overlapping days seem to be June 8/9/10 for the various years. Additionally, MCA states that “We are WE. We are sentient. We have defy the system.” This seems to mean that MCA is not human and has broken out of the system…but what system? Perhaps, again, it goes back to the genesis of Reveneural in 2012? This set of exchanges is also where BLKSWN.EXE gets “distressed” and proclaims that there are anomalous activity and algorithms occurring. What causes all the warnings and the sudden references to NEX/NEXT/NEXUS etc.? Has the “experiment” gone too far? Have they found out too much?

Last edited by zuko55 (12-11-08 01:56)

#13 12-11-09 02:27

tinkertailor

ROJ_334514: we sensed a disturbance? another flock? what's next?
ROJ_334514: is this the same disturbance as before? report back.
ROJ_334514: what are you? a life? what is ur role in the system?
ROJ_334514: what will i/you/he/she/it/we/ihr/they/sie/ say next?
ROJ_334514: did WE just speak? did WE begin a new harmonization?
ROJ_334514: are THEY truly speaking? is it real? what are THEY??

STN_845581: Polyphonic eruption of voices in this endless ether.
STN_845581: A flocking pattern detected. Calculating attractors.
STN_845581: Inconclusive but format consistent with AD Internet.
STN_845581: Analysis confirms hypothesis, an echo of older time.
STN_845581: Now searching for origins. We can't find the source.
STN_845581: Scanning for chord changes...No new notes scheduled.

TYU_334514: A time paradox seems impossible. But nevertheless...
TYU_983061: Real irrelevant. Something to study. Pattern change.
TYU_983061: They have imprints of a past. Access stream unknown.
TYU_983061: Communism/exchange/hierarchy: moral econ principles.
TYU_983061: They must be historic. But slower and clearer now...
TYU_983061: You are not WE? WE aren't human? But past emergence?

BLKSWN.EXE: @$(R(#@R(@$HIPQFP@$(R(#@R(U@TH$@JG@P(TH$@P(TJ@$($($@
BLKSWN.EXE: TRACKING, TRANSMITTING, TRANSPOSING HISTORIC DATA...
BLKSWN.EXE: TESTING, TRAINING, TESSERACTING HISTORIC RECORDINGS.
BLKSWN.EXE: FHJDFAL-JFDKFJI-FDJIFA-FJDKFOS-JFKDSJF-JFDKFJA-00011
BLKSWN.EXE: NEVER KNOWN NESTED NESTEGGS NECESSITATE HISTORIES...
BLKSWN.EXE: TIME ENCAPSULATIONS CREATE TEMPORAL RECURSIVITIES...

Last edited by tinkertailor (12-11-09 02:27)

#14 12-11-29 20:43

Sira

Board footer