Samus Aran

shnarvle wrote:

cyborg

Make posts, not essays.

tumblr_lnwa06MVQf1qju8pmo1_500.png

#27 12-10-26 07:59

JustInCayce

Re: EVA Emission(s)

If Nex isn't a human person (in any sense), are male and female the only gender options? Could it be passing as a she in some contexts and not others? Could Nex's gender be particularly unstable?

#28 12-10-26 10:35

mercury154

JustInCayce wrote:

If Nex isn't a human person (in any sense), are male and female the only gender options? Could it be passing as a she in some contexts and not others? Could Nex's gender be particularly unstable?

I am with this.  Specifically, do we have any reference (other than Facebook, which I'll address below) of an AI referring to their OWN gender? It may currently be something ascribed to the non-human characters by the human ones, in which case, Nex's gender is either potentially flexible or unknown, if we consider the true master of such a label the thing holding that label.  Or, more directly, I'm most comfortable in allowing the decisive call on what an AI's gender is to be made by the AI itself.

Humans (entire languages) are known to assign genders to inanimate objects, and while that is interesting in itself and worth investigating, I feel the only way to "get it right" is to figure out what Nex feels it is.

We could ask it.  haha

#29 12-10-26 11:46

mercury154

Oops.  Forgot the Facebook bit.  Are we certain that the Facebook page is legit? If we are certain, please link to it. The only reason I question its validity is that the main portions of legitimate material as it pertains to this game seem largely to be centrally located within this website.

#30 12-10-26 12:05

mercury154

JustInCayce wrote:

Okay, so all of this is now further complicated by the following:

JP wrote:

<!-- /////48
When I live on Beach Road, my name wasn't James. It was Adnexus Philip Powers. I stripped that entire name away. Before I left New Watts, I was at most an appendage to my family. At least, I was a mere parasite. I was mostly alone.
I wanted to be normal. I made myself normal. I gave myself a narrative. You only get a narrative if you're normal. I also game myself a name: James. What could be more normal than a James?
-->

JP's newest chosen name is James (if we don't count JP, which seems only to be the initials of that chosen name). Which is masculine. But his name WAS Adnexus, a name he gave his (imaginary) daughter.  I would say that Adnexus, as a name, is non-gendered. It's not a "real" name in that it has no history of gender preference (correct me if I'm wrong. Even so, JP essentially made his daughter a junior, and so he seems to be connecting in some way to a feminine identity. Either JP, despite his now masculine name, is a woman, or he identifies with a feminine identity in some way (perhaps a new way to view his relationship with Eva).

Or, what is more likely given the rest of the journal entry, whatever JP "really" is, he is now taking direct control of.  He says "I gave myself a narrative" which is very different from "I wrote my narrative," in that it implies that the narrative is created or borrowed rather than documented. It seems JustInCayce may be right on point with the mutability of gender, or identity.  Or even, in this case, narrative.

And to extend that process further, if JP, who we know the most about and is in fact our main insight into every other character, is able to switch identities and narratives, why shouldn't Eva, or anyone else?  Especially if they are an AI and are not necessarily bound by our conventions and definitions?  But beyond even that, when we have the narrator indicate outright that he or she is creating their narrative, how well can we trust their insights into other characters, assuming they have not created those characters in the first place?

Last edited by mercury154 (12-10-26 12:08)

#31 12-10-27 15:25

ruletheworld

Wow! This is a great discussion guys!

Mercury154 wrote:

But beyond even that, when we have the narrator indicate outright that he or she is creating their narrative, how well can we trust their insights into other characters, assuming they have not created those characters in the first place?

Good point.

Following your logic, who can we trust? This game is so mediated. Where is the "truth?"

Even if I say I identify as female (and human) you and I have no way of proving that...

Last edited by ruletheworld (12-10-27 15:25)

#32 12-10-28 15:13

rhyneking

Hi all,

I just wrote this for the class at Duke.  I think it is relevant to this conversation:

Understanding Eva: An Intertextual Approach

Speculat1ons generally, and JP’s journal entries more specifically, constantly references other works of literature.  This should not be surprising, considering that literature students developed the game and that JP himself received a B.A. in English.  The works referenced are various and many: from 1984 to Moby Dick, from Saturday Night Live to The Shining—it is clear that JP is very well read.  The plot and themes of Speculat1ons are certainly influenced more by some works (e.g. 1984) than others (e.g. SNL).  Moreover, the mysterious character of Eva also draws heavy inspiration from certain works, Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner, William Gibson’s Neuromancer, and The Bible, and by comparing JP’s journal entries with these other works, we can gleam more knowledge about Eva.

The Bible’s influence on the character of Eva is more obvious than the influence of the other two works, as it is explicitly discussed in JP’s journal entry 21.  “Eva” is of course related to the “Eve” of the story of creation from the book of Genesis.  Eve’s significance in the Bible is that of being the first woman, and this is a motif heavily repeated throughout Western art.  Perhaps, this makes JP “Adam,” the first man; perhaps it does not.  I suspect later journal entries will make this clearer.

It is possibly over-extrapolation when I say that the character of Eva is influenced by Blade Runner and Neuromancer.  However, it is unarguable that Speculat1ons draws heavy inspiration from the genre of cyberpunk, and Blade Runner and Neuromancer are perhaps the two most influential works in the genre.  Moreover, JP quotes (with some alterations) the opening line of Neuromancer in his first journal entry, when he says, “The sky above the north tower was the color of a reticle, projected onto a dead world;” in journal 4, Eva is said to be in the “unforgiving south tower,” clearly referring back to this earlier quotation.  Additionally Blade Runner can be abbreviated as “BR,” a common motive woven throughout the game, and I highly doubt that this is coincidental. 

Most important, however, is the fact that Blade Runner and Neuromancer both contain female characters that are neither fully human nor fully machine, a state that I believe Eva possesses.  One of the main characters of Neuromancer is “Molly Millions,” a human woman who has been heavily augmented by cybernetic modifications so that she blurs the distinction between “human” and “non-human.”  Moreover in the novel, Molly frequently enters the “Matrix,” a virtual reality space where humans and AIs can interact.  In the film Blade Runner, one of the main characters, “Rachael,” is a “replicant,” or android.  Rachael is even more human than most replicants of the Blade Runner universe are because she possesses the memories of another human.  In both the cases of Molly and Rachael, the distinction between “human” and “machine” is extremely blurred.

Likewise, the imagery which JP uses to describe Eva suggests that she is a mix between human and non-human, and perhaps reality and virtual reality.  The sentence “I dreamed of Eva flying through the sky toward me, beautiful, resplendent, like electric current flowing through the ether,” certainly indicates a physical form, but the “electric current” simile also suggests something mechanical.  Other journal entries provide similar (seeming) contradictions.  Therefore, after an intertextual comparison, I believe that Eva is neither human nor non-human: she is both.  She may even be the first of her kind, hence the Biblical reference with the name “Eva.”

#33 12-10-29 09:46

gasmoney

Thanks so much for posting that Rhyneking! Great analysis. I think that Eva as "the first of her kind" is a really useful idea.

Also. Did someone on the forum make this thread a sticky? Or is this the doing of NEX?

Also note the name change! I believe it was titled EVA - now it's EVA Emission(s). PS: Emission means to "put forth" or to "circulate, as in a bill" according to the OED. My favorite definition? "The action of giving off radiation or particles; a flow of electrons from a cathode-ray tube or other source." Seems pertinent to Rhyneking's observation about EVA and the electronic current metaphor...

#34 12-10-29 20:07

asherah

shnarvle wrote:
mercury154 wrote:

In the south tower.  No idea what the south tower is, but this is the first quote to mention her having a form (actually, I think it's the first mention of her at all).  This is in favor of your theory that she is a real person.  Except for the adjective subliminal, which hints at formlessness.

I don't reckon the two are mutually exclusive. He could be looking a server (or something like that) that runs Eva (assuming she is software)... I believe there are in fact buildings in manhattan that exclusively house computers, no humans present. Maybe her elegance refers to the simplicity of her physical manifestation as well as her programming.... Again, just speculation, but I don't think it's inconceivable.

Interesting that this debate is hinged on the human/computer divide when that's precisely the distinction that seems to get muddled in the broader context of the game...

So here are some rather random thoughts on Eva being AI. I've been thinking more about the Metacorp towers lately, especially from going back to read over the document. The South Tower is where the Founder started out as a BR (basic research): "You’re confused that I started as a BR? Well, no, promotion isn’t the usual route when you start at the bottom of the south tower. It’s not exactly considered a training level for bigger and better things. Not the ground floor of the Global Dream."

But when he is promoted to FA he is moved to the lower levels of the North tower. Eventually he moves up to VP and is on the 74th floor, and then as Managing Director is all the way up at the top. He talks about the culture shift as you move up as well as the shift in the amount of screens and surveillance. The North tower seems to be the main location, though, where all MC employees outside of the BRs work. Even the text adventure games take place in the North tower. So if the north tower is the center for management, for investment, for control, what is the south tower and why is Eva there, and at the very top no less? I think Eva is definitely at least part software, which would imply that the south tower is maybe a transmission tower, a place that holds all of the servers (as in the photos from the dead drop), a place only fit for the lowest of employees (BRs). The founder does also specifically mention that "transmissions towers" exist which power the Reticle. Is Eva the source of the reticle?

Anyway, I guess this is all more evidence that she is indeed a program of some sort. Either way, trying to tease out the human/AI divide is obviously slippery and maybe a little pointless. More importantly though, the fact that she is in the South tower, as opposed to the North, does seem to have some implication.  As the Founder says, the South Tower is not the place for the "Global Dream." How might that relate to her being a program for Economic Value Added, and in that sense, the epitome of the global dream?

#35 12-10-30 00:05

mercury154

asherah wrote:

Anyway, I guess this is all more evidence that she is indeed a program of some sort. Either way, trying to tease out the human/AI divide is obviously slippery and maybe a little pointless. More importantly though, the fact that she is in the South tower, as opposed to the North, does seem to have some implication.  As the Founder says, the South Tower is not the place for the "Global Dream." How might that relate to her being a program for Economic Value Added, and in that sense, the epitome of the global dream?

I find it strange that Eva (Economic Value Added) would seem beyond what a BR's job entails. We don't know precisely what that is, but it seems very low grade work, and I suspect it has nothing to do with finances at all--not directly.  It makes more sense if you consider that she is at the top of the tower and therefore at the threshold between the low and the high. It seems as if an employee starts at the bottom of the South Tower, literally moves up, and then is promoted to the bottom of the North Tower, where he presumably also moves up. Or that is the path of JP, anyway.

Or is it that she, Eva herself, IS the threshold? This fits in line with a Biblical reading of Eve as the defacto doorway out of Eden. But this would be an inversion or subversion of that. In the Bible, Man was in paradise and was forced out of heaven into a life of drudgery and labor. Here, JP seems to have been in the tedium first, and escaped (through Eva/Eve?) into a more free state (if I am remembering his post-BR work correctly).  Furthermore, JP still dreams of Eva, which reverses the state of the South Tower from the tedium it was to the paradise he imagines it to be, or at least, he images the South Tower as a vessel for a kind of paradise (Eva).

In either case, Man (Adam/JP) experiences an irreversible, feminine transcendence to which they wish to return after being burdened with knowledge and responsibility.

#36 12-10-30 00:08

mercury154

BTW, Eva also stands for something else that seems somewhat related to this all--Earned Value Analysis.  Which is also known as the following:

Earned value management (EVM), or Earned value project/performance management (EVPM) is a project management technique for measuring project performance and progress in an objective manner.

#37 12-10-31 22:29

Smeliot

Hi guys, this is my first post and I only just got caught up with the game but I hope you don't mind if I jump in here!  I apologize if any of this has already been said.

mercury154 wrote:

BTW, Eva also stands for something else that seems somewhat related to this all--Earned Value Analysis.  Which is also known as the following:

Earned value management (EVM), or Earned value project/performance management (EVPM) is a project management technique for measuring project performance and progress in an objective manner.

This is interesting, especially if we consider Eva female. "Measuring project performance and progress" could almost be construed as watching over and guiding, a motherly trait (though "in an objective manner" makes it sound much more machine-like.)

I'd like to also draw attention to the little blurbs in the source code of NEXUS05 in which Eva is trying to talk to JP. She tells JP he's working too hard--

EVA: A |
          | ll wrk |
          | & no   |
          | plaaay |
          | .....  |
          | JP??

--and keeps trying to talk to him. These "emissions" are very different from the philosophy of MetaCorp, which emphasizes efficiency and work ethic. They're almost motherly, as if she actually cares about JP, which is very un-machinelike and blurs the line between human and machine. As others have mentioned, she might be some kind of mix of human and computer, which as Rhyneking pointed out is also a motif in works like Blade Runner and Neuromancer.

I'm curious as to why JP doesn't respond, however. Isn't JP in love with her? In journal 35 JP says he hacked into the system and looked for Eva but she was gone--what happened to her? Was she terminated for not "focusing"? Did she terminate herself after not getting a response from JP? Can she even do that?

#38 12-11-02 10:32

gasmoney

+EVA00017++EVA00018++EVA00019++EVA00020++EVA00021++EVA00022++EVA000LOGIEVA00024+
|        ||        ||        ||        ||OILINGLOIN        ||    GO    GGLING  |
|        ||   GING || ILL    ||    NING||        ||ON      ||   I   ON    IN   |
|        ||  N     ||    NI  ||  LI    ||        ||   INNING|  G         G     |
|    IN  || O      ||      LL||IN      ||        ||        |NON   NO   O       |
|   G  L ||    OING||        ||        ||GIGGLING||        ||        L         |
|  O GI  ||   G    || L      ||      NG||        LINE      ||        O         |
| LOG  N ||  N     ||  OG    ||   GLI  ||        ||  LOONNOGGIN        G       |
|       G|| O      ||    GING||GOO     ||        ||        ||  NOON      IN    |
+--------++--------++--------++--------++--------++--------++------ONIONING----+

Found in source: http://sp6culation.speculat1on.net/eXchange/EVALOGS/

#39 12-11-08 01:06

mercury154

gasmoney wrote:
+EVA00017++EVA00018++EVA00019++EVA00020++EVA00021++EVA00022++EVA000LOGIEVA00024+
|        ||        ||        ||        ||OILINGLOIN        ||    GO    GGLING  |
|        ||   GING || ILL    ||    NING||        ||ON      ||   I   ON    IN   |
|        ||  N     ||    NI  ||  LI    ||        ||   INNING|  G         G     |
|    IN  || O      ||      LL||IN      ||        ||        |NON   NO   O       |
|   G  L ||    OING||        ||        ||GIGGLING||        ||        L         |
|  O GI  ||   G    || L      ||      NG||        LINE      ||        O         |
| LOG  N ||  N     ||  OG    ||   GLI  ||        ||  LOONNOGGIN        G       |
|       G|| O      ||    GING||GOO     ||        ||        ||  NOON      IN    |
+--------++--------++--------++--------++--------++--------++------ONIONING----+

Found in source: http://sp6culation.speculat1on.net/eXchange/EVALOGS/

No idea what to make of this.  The numbers would indicate, if they match with JP's formatting, that we have more to find.  But the fact that they break format (something which JP's never do) seem also to indicate that Eva's logs are perhaps corrupted.

#40 12-11-08 08:45

JustInCayce

No idea what to make of this either. Though it does seem as if there's at least a parallel with JP's journal. These 8 pieces look like a long, longing, login, googling snake.

#41 12-11-29 14:02

gasmoney

ADD YOU ASCII IMAGE FROM YOUR EMAIL AND POST IT HERE. I WILL COLLATE BY NUMBER.

+EVA000|5+
|      | |
|      | |
VA <------
|     .+'|
----+'   |
| .'   . |
-+  .    .
|.   . . |
+-.---.--+
+EVA00025+
|        |
|   +---->
|   |    |
|   +-----
|        |
|Entrepren
|Venture |
|Associate
+--------+
+EVA00027+
c        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|Extended|
|Virtual |
|Agent <--
-------+ |
+EVA00028+
|        |
|        |
|Erotic  |
|Vision  |
|Array <--
|        |
-----+   |
|    |   |
+----|---+
+EVA00029+
|Earned  |
|Value  <-
|Analyst |
|      +--
-----+ | |
|    | | |
| +----+ |
| |  |   |
+-|--|---+
+------|-+
+EVA00038+
|        |
----------
.        |
|'-+------
|   '.   |
.    .'+--
|.   . ..:
.   . ....
..--.-....
+EVA|0039+
|   |    |
------> EV
|   |    |
----------
|   |    |
----------
.   |    |
:+--------
:IA.|----+
+EV|00040+
|  |     |
A  |     |
|  |     |
---+     |
|        |
-> EVA   |
|        |
---> EVA |
+--------+ 

Last edited by gasmoney (12-11-29 15:27)

#42 12-11-29 14:08

Kostas

+EVA000|5+
|      | |
|      | |
VA <------
|     .+'|
----+'   |
| .'   . |
-+  .    .
|.   . . |
+-.---.--+

+EVA00038+
|        |
----------
.        |
|'-+------
|   '.   |
.    .'+--
|.   . ..:
.   . ....
..--.-....

+EVA00025+
|        |
|   +---->
|   |    |
|   +-----
|        |
|Entrepren
|Venture |
|Associate
+--------+

#43 12-11-29 14:11

asherah

+EVA|0039+
|   |    |
------> EV
|   |    |
----------
|   |    |
----------
.   |    |
:+--------
:IA.|----+

#44 12-11-29 14:39

Mr.Va

+EVA00027+
c        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|Extended|
|Virtual |
|Agent <--
-------+ |
+------|-+

#45 12-11-29 14:46

thisisaname

I've been gone from the game for a while, but just got a random email from NEX. Maybe it went out to a bunch of people, but just in case we didn't have this log:

END GAME. NEX IS COMING. WE NEED YOU.
8PM CST / 9PM EST, SUNDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2012.

http://speculat1on.net
http://speculat1on.net/WE

+EVA00029+
|Earned  |
|Value  <-
|Analyst |
|      +--
-----+ | |
|    | | |
| +----+ |
| |  |   |
+-|--|---+

#46 12-11-29 15:09

gasmoney

+EVA00025+
|        |
|   +---->
|   |    |
|   +-----
|        |
|Entrepren
|Venture |
|Associate
+--------+
+EVA00029+
|Earned  |
|Value  <-
|Analyst |
|      +--
-----+ | |
|    | | |
| +----+ |
| |  |   |
+-|--|---+
+EV|00040+
|  |     |
A  |     |
|  |     |
---+     |
|        |
-> EVA   |
|        |
---> EVA |
+--------+

#47 12-11-29 15:21

Foll

+EV|00040+
|  |     |
A  |     |
|  |     |
---+     |
|        |
-> EVA   |
|        |
---> EVA |
+--------+ 

#48 12-11-29 15:21

PrincessA

+EV|00040+
|  |     |
A  |     |
|  |     |
---+     |
|        |
-> EVA   |
|        |
---> EVA |
+--------+

#49 12-11-29 15:22

Foll

Wait what the hell?  We got the same one? Either someone is seriously fucking with us, or that is just strange mistake/coincidence.

#50 12-11-29 15:22

JustInCayce

I don't know which ones are repeating yet but here's the one I received:

+EVA000|5+
|      | |
|      | |
VA <------
|     .+'|
----+'   |
| .'   . |
-+  .    .