#1 14-03-31 23:14

Parkaboy73
Banned

1nvoke: Archiving an Alternate Reality Game

Last edited by Parkaboy73 (14-04-01 17:28)

#2 14-04-03 18:16

gasmoney

Re: 1nvoke: Archiving an Alternate Reality Game

#3 14-04-03 19:20

Parkaboy73
Banned

#4 14-04-03 20:47

gasmoney

ASCII seems like it's already present all over the place. It would certainly convey how much information is involved in a game like this.

#5 14-04-04 09:19

JustInCayce

Nice, it's back. Good to see you, gasmoney. I wonder if we'll see people from Speculation v2, which I played: Semaphore, McAlec, quadrivium, llist, who else.

E? Guessing that's not the drug. Looks like the game is on. :)

#6 14-04-04 09:54

wvixivw

#7 14-04-04 10:33

Parkaboy73
Banned

Last edited by Parkaboy73 (14-04-04 10:43)

#8 14-04-04 11:40

wvixivw

#9 14-04-04 13:30

Parkaboy73
Banned

Last edited by Parkaboy73 (14-04-05 12:12)

#10 14-04-05 20:29

tinkertailor

#11 14-04-06 11:41

Parkaboy73
Banned

#12 14-04-06 15:04

Sometimes you get a whiff of paranoia and, without warning, you develop an appetite for delving deeper. I'm certainly not going to dissuade you from digging around the root folder, tinker. But I will say that sometimes it's better to remain hungry than to sink your teeth into the forbidden fruit. Knowledge is risky, not just when you're discovering it, but maybe most of all when you're actively creating it.

Whatever, mock me for my food metaphor if you must. But the box metaphor was already taken (thanks, Parkaboy). Still, the patterns and discrepancies in these schematics are very telling if you're willing to look closely and spell it all out.

#13 14-04-07 08:13

Parkaboy73
Banned

#14 14-04-08 15:45

jikuusaber

It's odd to me that everyone seems to have such a strong desire for the archive, here. What if, instead of trying to build a text that "contains" Speculation, we instead assume that it is inextricably bound to the time of its playing?

ARGs are transmedial events, occurring across and embedded within various spaces. They leave traces of their passing, like this forum or the subreddit. However, they are also fleeting instances of relations between players and designers, formed through the process of play. What if, instead of trying to recover Speculation to a central location, we assume that its contingency is part of its form?

#15 14-04-08 16:14

JustInCayce

Definitely, jikuusaber. That seems right to me re: ARGs as transmedial + bound to their playing.

But does that mean that an archive is a bad idea? Couldn't an archive still be useful to a designer who's trying to learn about ARGs? The game design doc idea that wvixivw brings up would definitely miss the point as far as the experience of an ARG goes. But couldn't that kind of doc teach you something about the building blocks that make this experience possible?

Hmm, maybe it all depends on what we mean by "archive" (which might just be the wrong word). Maybe it's not just about what happened but what players experienced. You know, experience is a collective thing in an ARG. And that's harder to track or know. Maybe you can't archive it. But it might be interesting to make some sense of that kind of group experience.

Another question: Can we call this discussion an "archive" or is that just mixing up terms too much?

#16 14-04-08 17:21

jikuusaber

Right, I'm certainly not saying that somebody creating or curating an "archive" is necessarily a bad idea! Instead, rather, we should be open to the idea that such an act necessarily privileges certain aspects of the game - an archive is never neutral or transparent, but structures our relationship to the objects it contains. Simultaneously, we should be aware of the terms of our desire for such an archive. As Derrida points out in Archive Fever*, the archive reiterates and curates public memory, but in doing so suppresses or buries others. Here's a cool quote from him about the desire for archiving:

"It is to have a compulsive, repetitive, and nostalgic desire for the archive, an irrepressible desire to return to the origin, a homesickness, a nostalgia for return to the most archaic place of absolute commencement."

Turning away from slippery poststructuralism, though, the humanities write large have a ton of methodologies to deal with this sort of ambiguous and contingent sorts of events. I'm imagining a conversation about ARGs with my adviser from undergrad - I imagine that after I had explained my archival woes to him he'd look at me as if I were an idiot, and ask whether I had done any fieldwork. I'd argue that we might approach ARGs - which we might understand as a "hybrid" form - with a similarly hybrid approach.

RE: this thread and forum as an archive. I'd say that we should not argue over whether there is a stable and knowable definition of archive - that would be a thorny problem - but whether this forum could function archivally. In other words, could these retellings and memories be incorporated into a network of relations understood as an archive? I'd say of course, but I also could have no idea what I'm talking about.

Board footer