#1 14-03-31 23:37

Parkaboy73
Banned

Welc0me: Contributing to a Forum

Hi and welcome to the forum for Nexus X and the larger Speculation alternate reality game! With these sorts of games, forums often become the place to play, explore, experiment, archive, analyze, and speculate together. We're here to help each other out, so feel free to sign in, share secrets, and troubleshoot the game as a group.

As you might have noticed, discussions from previous play-throughs of Speculation are archived here and here. Between April and December 2012, the game accrued 1,897 posts and a whole bunch of pageviews. This "third" playthrough might be a bit more modest, but the Archivists will jump start the discussion over the next few weeks.

Beyond those old, closed threads, this forum is also your space. Feel free to think and play here however you'd like. We may start some threads, but you can question, tweak, or transform the discussion as you see fit. Speculation is and always was only what you make of it. Let's play!

Last edited by Parkaboy73 (14-04-01 17:24)

#2 14-04-02 09:14

wvixivw

Re: Welc0me: Contributing to a Forum

Gotta run to work, but wanted to say hello again to Parkaboy73 &co. Talk/play soon?

In the meantime, Why can't you hear a pterodactyl in the bathroom? It has a silent pee!

#3 14-04-02 13:43

Ummm. Ok. So things are back, are they?

I have to say I'm kind of surprised that you've put this all together ParkaBoy73 (and whoever else has been doing working on this). I figured everyone else had gotten those threatening NDA agreements after the last round ended (which is why the wiki doesn't exist anymore, btw). The letter was pretty specific with the lawsuit threats, and I got the distinct impression that some company was going to launch a commercial version of the game (probably to advertise some giant film, my guess would be Transcendence). So I'm not sure what you're doing, though certainly I applaud you for the resourcefulness. I mean what good is an archive of answers for players who want to try and puzzle things out for themselves?

Me, I'm going to try and hold on to my anonymity.

Last edited by year of the NY-mouse (14-04-02 13:44)

#4 14-04-02 14:32

year of the NY-mouse: Who are you? I think that we must work together at you-know-where but, if that's the case, you've probably said too much about you-know-who and their attempt to keep you-know-what under wraps until you-know-when via the NDAs which are totally being ignored by the pirates who created this so-called "archive" (redundant quotation marks added for emphasis).

Parkaboy73: Truly, I just can't believe, for a moment, that you didn't receive the NDA. I looked up your handle (bad William Gibson reference notwithstanding) on the Speculation "User List" and you were, to put this in conservative and tentatively respectful terms, a very heavy user for a very long time. All of which is to say, you were definitely on the NDA mailing list which included even "occasional," "low," and "moderate," not to mention "heavy" and "very heavy" users. So you received the paperwork. You might be surprised by how much data (we're talking not just quantity but quality) we were able to collect about you from this site alone. So you know, cease and desist. Take this all down. Like five minutes ago.

Take this response as a friendly warning. The chances of serious consequences are not that far off from, like, the Miami Heat winning the 2013 NBA Championship or "12 Years a Slave" winning the 2014 best picture Oscar. And I'm not saying these easily predictable consequences will come from Yours Truly, good ole NonDisclosureDisagreement here (who is, first and foremost, both friendly and playful). But there are, let's just call them, forces at play. So you've been warned. Due diligence over. The ball is in your court.

And I can neither definitely confirm nor deny a commercial AAA version of Speculation. But I would say similar odds to the Heat 2013, 12 Years 2014 situation above.

Last edited by NonDisclosureDisagreement (14-04-02 14:36)

#5 14-04-02 14:57

Parkaboy73
Banned

wvixivw, it's good to see some familiar faces around the forums again. It's starting to feel like something...but I'm pretty sure it's not TRANSCENDENCE.

NY and NDD, I can see the game is on. But it's going to take more than some paperwork to disentangle the Archivists now that we've gotten access. She's gone, you know. Like those homeowners who couldn't default or be evicted in FL and AZ after the bubble burst, NEX left. There's no "owner" anymore. It's all just a derivative fiction.

#6 14-04-02 16:59

Good, transcendence is overrated.

Hi everyone.

#7 14-04-03 02:48

It certainly is derivative, isn't it?

Don't worry, though, Parkaboy - you can't force sometime to sign an NDA, and only have legal recourse if you can demonstrate that the information in question was shared with an reasonable expectation of confidence.

However, I agree with NDD that you were (are?) a very heavy user. Game addiction is a serious social problem; make sure to seek help if you need.

#8 14-04-03 13:37

tinkertailor

^ addiction advice coming from a final fantasy fan :P

regarding my current addiction, parka, i've made some progress phishing NEX's old passwords (btw, why did an AI need passwords?)

if any of them match her admin account here we could check the NDA'ers IPs. it seems their "anonymity" is worth investigating, right?

ps hey wvixivw! hey fashionablylate!

Last edited by tinkertailor (14-04-03 15:02)

#9 14-04-03 15:03

tinkertailor

fyi, i think im onto something >_>

#10 14-04-03 18:03

gasmoney

Hi everyone! Good to see you all back here.

For the record, I never got any kind of NDA. In fact, I've been showing people all over my city my metaswag from the last round. Those Zimbabwean notes meta-dollars are real conversation starters.

Last edited by gasmoney (14-04-03 18:03)

#11 14-04-03 21:58

Parkaboy73 - There are owners and owners. Put it another way - there are owners of owners. Maybe NEX 'left' but its never quite that simple, right? Whether or not this is an alternate reality, abandoned property is never really quite that abandoned. I doubt anyone would do all that work just to leave a fragment on the internet - and the history of ARGs is paved in advertisements.

Put it another way again - it's all just a little bit of history repeating. Maybe you just haven't received the NDAs you're destined to sign quite yet.

Last edited by year of the NY-mouse (14-04-03 22:00)

#12 14-04-04 08:54

Tsk, tsk, NY-mouse. It's almost as if someone didn't receive a carefully lawyered NDA of their own (comment intended both as well-intentioned if admittedly sarcastic warning and equally sarcastic educated guess). The "abandoned property" detail is a pretty big hint, don't you think?

Parkaboy73: I would direct my double-tsk at you too, but I still can't determine whether you know far more or far less than you're suggesting. Is the "owner" in scare quotes? Or are you subtly gesturing toward you-know-what (unlike some people, I respect NDAs)?

This archive is either a brilliant attempt (a la Edgar Allan Poe's "Purloined Letter") to archive something that has been NDAed, to hide the messier truth of Speculation in plain sight -- well, plain site, in this case. Or else it's a completely oblivious attempt by a bevy of internet dorks to circle jerk nostalgically, Flamin' Hot Cheeto stained fingers and all, around what they thought was a neat alternate reality game.

Don't think for a moment that I'm your enemy (even if I appear to be the only one who respects the rules and understands their value). I don't think it violates the NDAs I've signed to say that, if I were an outsider to the world of contractual obligations, I would push on four questions:

1.) How do advertisements fit into all of this?
2.) Who owns the owners (to roll with NY-mouse's formulation)?
3.) Where are the owners located?
4.) What do games have to do with it?

Not that I'm expecting a C. Auguste Dupin to emerge from this crowd.

#13 14-04-04 10:04

wvixivw

Hey tinker! Pleeeease tell me you actually phished for NEX's weird AI passwords. That sounds like my kind of subversion. For shits, I did a quick Google search for phishing, and according to Yahoo! Answers...

Q: Is "phishing" illegal, even if it didn't work? Would you report it if it is someone your had a relationship with in the past, who screwed you over? And then THREE years later, with NO contact, sends you an email invite link to a dating site, to add to their friends list-end result-last page-phish? I'm sorta pissed.?

A: YES, I am POSITIVE it is a crime. "Phishing" is identity theft. Attempted identity theft is still a crime.

Whatever re: the illegality, but it made me think of an interesting question: What would it mean to attempt to steal the identity of an artificial entity? Which lead to: Is an AI's creator legally responsible for the actions and creations of that entity? If AI forms without being created by a human, who is responsible? Who would you sue?

I'd love to see this NDA because I'd love to know what evidence the organization would use in court.

#14 14-04-04 12:05

tinkertailor

i think ur going to be pleeeeased!

#15 14-04-04 12:14

Parkaboy73
Banned

I'm not so sure that's a good idea, tinker.

#16 14-04-05 20:24

tinkertailor

:D

#17 14-04-06 11:27

destrier

hey....

#18 14-04-08 08:59

NEX
Administrator

HHH H H   H   H H H   HHH   H HHH H   H H   H   H HHH HELLO! (it's tinker!)

#19 14-04-08 09:03

Parkaboy73
Banned

Tinker, please. This wasn't part of the plan...

#20 14-04-08 11:32

Hoof

Whoa, what's going on in here? I'm off for a week and we've been NDA'd from the future and tinker is NEX?

#21 14-04-09 02:09

Let's say--for the sake of argument--that I appreciate your concern and your warning NDD. You can rest easy--if you rest--I've taken certain steps perhaps rather drastic steps to protect my anonymity before I poked my head up.

Because I'd been reading it wrong, I think we've all been reading it wrong. Its not player X, the variable player, the yet to be discovered player, its player EX - crossed out, nixxed, erased - either as a player or better as everything but a player. Does anyone remember the references to invisible man? Player, NEX, Speculation

#22 14-04-09 10:00

What ever happened to the idiom of being "quiet as a mouse"? If we're matching handle to performance, we might consider the alternative of "persistent as a louse"?

So, 15-minutes of the NY-louse, you've revealed the homophone underlying the collective player choice. Fine. The last group of players indeed ended Speculation with a choice between three figures: NEX, Eva, and Player X. They thought they selected Player X as the unknown protagonist of the Speculation interviews. However, it turns out that they may have selected Player-Ex instead. This is not so unusual. So often we make choices without realizing their significance at the time. What does it mean, though, that this group of players pursued the option of its own erasure? What do we have here? A mass suicide pact? A long-term survival strategy? A realization about the underlying meaning of the Speculation project? An honest mistake? A fatal error? An admission that we're not a player, we just spec***te a lot?

Remember, the narrator of Ellison's Invisible Man observes, "I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me. Like the bodiless heads you see sometimes in circus sideshows, it is as though I have been surrounded by mirrors of hard, distorting glass. When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves or figments of their imagination, indeed, everything and anything except me." So you should all ask yourselves: What do you refuse to see? And if we're moving from X to EX, who exactly is you-know-who?

Just Qs from me. You won't find any definite As here. Ends service, drops mic, walks away.

#23 14-04-09 10:18

I think we're getting on the same page here NDD--the best hiding spot being in plain sight.

As for idioms, well, I never said the mouse was me.

#24 14-04-11 18:59

NEX
Administrator

wtf you guys are literally on the same page! look i dug up with the NEX admin account:

year of the NY-mouse           ct@brotherrobot.com     206.208.171.225

NonDisclosureDisagreement   md@brotherrobot.com   206.208.171.225

not so anonymous now, are we?

#25 14-04-12 11:19

NEX wrote:

wtf you guys are literally on the same page! look i dug up with the NEX admin account:

Looks like you've discovered step one of my anonymity preservation. I think NDD, this gives me the right to say 'Check' to you.

Unfortunately when I press the button on the chess timer the clock does not stop.

Board footer