#1 14-04-04 11:59

Parkaboy73
Banned

Remembe2: Sharing Some Speculation Stories

This forum is an open invitation for a community that doesn’t yet exist. It extends to all kinds of visitors, thinkers, writers, archivists, activists, designers, spectators, lurkers, newbs, cheaters, spoilsports, storytellers, artists, programmers, characters, and others whom we can't imagine. But this particular thread is for players. What's your favorite experience with Speculation? Do any particular event that sticks in your memory (however you happen to understand "memory")? What is your best Speculation story (either online or offline)?

Last edited by Parkaboy73 (14-04-04 12:14)

#2 14-04-04 12:14

Parkaboy73
Banned

Re: Remembe2: Sharing Some Speculation Stories

One of the things I still think about happened early during the first play-through. This was just after I joined in April 2012. I remember speculating about a business card that someone (I think it was a University of Chicago grad student) handed to me at the beginning of the first version of Speculation. He told me to take a look and to give the card to somebody else. I should’ve saved it but fiishbrains posted a photo here. I don’t think it ever led anywhere (what are the coordinates pointing to?) but it was one of those weird moments where digital play suddenly seems very real.

#3 14-04-04 15:11

gasmoney

To answer all of your questions, Parkaboy73...

Once you convert N40 43.6632', W074 2.0875' out of degrees/minutes you get: N40.72772 and W74.03479166666666. That gets you 545 Washington Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ 07310, USA. That's the address of ISO's Corporate Headquarters. ISO is "your source of information about risk." They offer risk assessment services for all kinds of property and casualty insurance. Sounds like a meta-corp to me.

I also called that phone number. Someone/thing picked up, beeped, and then didn't do anything. I hung up after a minute of silence.

I am always most interested in the things that make games like this "happen" to us. Outside of a forum. Untethered to a screen. That exact moment in which you extend the game into the non-game world.

For me that happened when I had to go and collect a deaddrop. The part of that story that never really made it to the forum was that I left my apartment and tried to find twelve "important" blue things on my way to find the deaddrop in Sander's Classrooms on the Vassar campus. Those blue things had nothing to do with the game, but I was so proud of myself for finding twelve blue things. Of course, once I got inside of the building, Michael Joyce's was the only occupied office. He was holding some kind of discussion or class in his office, and I politely interrupted asking if he had anything for me. He half gestured to a bench and continued on with his class. It wasn't until later that I realized Twelve Blue is one of his works. Also, the students in his class that I knew were really confused as to why I was acting so enthused over a manila envelope.

Either way, all of that was so exciting because it took the game into the real non-game world. It wasn't a super exciting interaction, and picking up papers was more or less a daily occurrence for me in school, but it added a layer of reality to what otherwise seemed like an internet-magic-world. For someone whose used to live performance and unfamiliar with gaming, having a physical document was more thrilling than finding a password.

I never fixed those links to share these docs. Better late than never.
FO96Fd9.png
2qxMbVq.jpg

Last edited by gasmoney (14-04-04 15:12)

#4 14-04-05 13:10

Parkaboy73
Banned

That's an amazing recollection, gasmoney. Those moments where you can't quite tell the difference between the game and the non-game are magical. The magic circle breaks down and the magic of the ordinary emerges. Truly, in those moments, the experience became less about reverse engineering Nex's encoded messages. Those situations open up different ways of seeing and playing.

There's pattern recognition. Things like paranoia and especially apophenia, though, make me wonder whether all of this has ever been a game.

#5 14-04-08 16:05

jikuusaber

I remember one moment very clearly (and it's not as awesome as gasmoney's). It was somewhere between maybe the third and fourth nexus, and I was feeling pretty much left behind because I was teaching that quarter and could not keep up with the puzzle solvers in the forum. A group of us who felt similarly decided to meet at the time that the countdown hit zero and blast through the puzzles at maximum speed.

When the nexus was revealed, it felt like we were there at the exact perfect instant, like we were the first ones to have privileged access to some secret. The game had become almost competitive, as I had visions of posting all sorts of solutions and becoming some kind of speculative hero.

Of course, the reality was somewhat less exciting, as we didn't solve that many puzzles. Still, the moment of the reveal was hella awesome.

#6 14-04-08 16:57

Parkaboy73
Banned

Haha, that reminds me of a similar experience, during the first run of Speculation, when I think we might have either finished a puzzle a bit too early or part of it was lost in the histrionic transmission. When we completed international currency trading game we got this image:

0WkRS.png

But the link didn't work! It was only a couple days later when NEX posted her "HINWEIS".

#7 14-04-10 18:13

My favorite memory of Speculation was when I was gainfully and gamefully employed. Paychecks coming in on a bi-weekly basis. Small talk by the office cooler. A boss young enough to be my son, and with the taste to match. Those were the days, am I right or what NDD?

Now I'm just collecting light bulbs and wiring them up.

#8 14-04-10 20:33

Parkaboy73
Banned

I'm not sure I quite follow you...or, if you follow me?

#9 14-04-10 21:34

Kostas

I have to say that my favorite moment was the appearance of the Bureau bots, it was the time where I felt like the players has the most control of the narrative, could play back in real time, and most importantly could make fun of the game. We created fake accounts (Bureau.CRIME, Bureau.CROWD, Bureau.CUNTS) and tried to drive AIs insane through mimicry. Other players managed to interact with these real bots to create logical short-circuits, eventually destroying two out of several of them (Bureau.CRAFT and Bureau.CRONY I think). We probably could have gotten rid of more of them, before they eventually swarmed and killed Matthew Davis, our lovable corporate hack turned rebel. We even had a little facebook eulogy for him: https://www.facebook.com/groups/176033629204247/

#10 14-04-11 10:56

Some worlds are unsustainable, NY-Mouse, especially the most joyful ones. But just because you're no longer surrounded by young super-genius (a fair characterization of your boss, I think), there's no need to isolate, check out, light it up.

After all, that didn't work out so well for that other guy.

#11 14-04-11 16:35

Can you see me now?
am I an invisible man?

#12 14-04-11 17:11

Take that image down, NY-Mouse. I will go to lengths (lengths that are somewhere between "great" and "absolute") to protect my anonymity. Now that you have so much time on your hands, you can screw in all of the light bulbs you'd like, but you do not want to screw with fire.

If you don't take NDAs seriously, how would you feel about the word "restraining" followed very closely by "order"? You do not want to test me. You will get burned.

#13 14-04-14 12:04

Parkaboy73
Banned

Yeah, Kostas! That was an incredible moment with the ticking timer counting down to the Bureau.CRASH. These NDA'ers actually remind me quite a bit of the Bureau.CRATS_...

Board footer