#1 14-04-04 12:16

Parkaboy73
Banned

Ima5ine: Re-Imaging Speculation

Sometimes Speculation felt too textual. I’m sure even new visitors can see that from the material we have in the archive so far. I mean, I like text so that doesn’t bother me so during the game, I spent most of my time here, on the discussion forum. But there were a bunch of interesting images and strange side projects that took place throughout 2012 as Speculation unfolded. I've been mining old forum posts and wandering through the NEX's weird webrings to find my favorite images to share. Do you have a favorite screenshot? And, new users, has anything jumped out at you while “siteseeing”? How else can we mediate the archive a little more?

#2 14-04-04 12:17

Parkaboy73
Banned

Re: Ima5ine: Re-Imaging Speculation

Some of my favorite images were from “Lamarck Powers’” portfolio we found during the dead drops discussion. Some of them were really beautiful, like jets of water from Francis Bacon paintings:

vMXacBK.jpg

Others were darkly prescient:

rcnGqlZ.jpg

I’m not really sure what it all means but I uploaded the whole thing if anyone wants to take a peek here. They also came with some text that I uploaded here.

#3 14-04-09 22:55

wvixivw

I like a lot of the submissions on http://speculat1on.net/WE/viewtopic.php?id=184.

I know I brought up using images to document things in another thread, but the more I think about it, the more I find images a little awkward in Speculation. It's interesting that you say screenshots, Parkaboy, because those seem more consistent for me that the images you or I have so far mentioned. I wish I could have taken more. screenshots : Speculation :: photographs : picnic.

If I could write a note to former me, I'd tell me to screencap the following

• AnY live events (e.g. final IRC event)

• The process of solving puzzles (e.g. spectrometer with 20 tabs in background searching cryptography)

• Pages, clocks, text that changed over time

I've also been wondering if the "best" images are the ones that make me feel the most nostalgic or the ones that give an outside the clearest picture of the game.

#4 14-04-14 12:22

Parkaboy73
Banned

I know what you mean, wvixivw. Layered screenshots of desktop environments might be the best approximation of this experience. One of the player-created images you linked to starts to signify that type of documentation:

WRDIMAG08-1.jpg

Here are a few screenshots I took while wandering around the red room:

eIn8vz2.png

What are some other images that make us "feel the most nostalgic" or "give an outside the clearest picture of the game"?

#5 14-04-28 01:45

joemoosey1

I didn't take part in Speculation during 2O12. I'm wondering if some people could explain how this archive differs from what actually took place?

Board footer