#1 14-04-12 19:18

Parkaboy73
Banned

The Non-Disclosure Agreement

Alright, look what was just sent to my email:

Y53669R.png

As far as I know, tinker and Hoof got it as well. But, like I said before, it's going to take much more than an NDA to get the Archivists to take down the site. We have as much a right to Speculation as anyone else.

I suggest that no one signs this form. Brother Robot is trying to make a profit from our shared labor. I'm still not sure exactly what Mouse and NDD are up to and what this company is all about. But I'm going to start digging.

#2 14-04-13 12:25

Re: The Non-Disclosure Agreement

So I wasn't the only one - just one of the first. I guess that makes sense. Threats are their own kind of information.

It looks like someone is getting a little nervous, someone is worried that this little project is getting out of hand. I wonder who that someone might be? Anyone want to make a wild guess.

#3 14-04-14 04:38

An NDA renders information furnished by one party confidential. By not signing such a document, Brother Robot is forced to assume that you may disclose any information that they provide to you. NDAs do not function post facto; any information that you already know or already have disclosed cannot be subject to an NDA. In other words, this document is a random collection of words until you sign it. So don't.

You might consider replying, saying that you have no intention of signing the document. Strictly speaking, you don't need to do this - but it might provoke whoever's at the other end to respond.

#4 14-04-14 08:16

Kostas

I also found one in my spam box this morning. The body of the email had the following text, Parka did yours have anything similar?

To User of the Speculat1on.net Forum,

Brother Robot Entertainment Inc., has been made aware that several users of the previous Speculat1on beta test have taken it upon themselves to produce another version of the game. As legal and sole owners of the the Speculat1on intellectual property, Brother Robot sees this activity as a violation of our rights. With our impending release of the commercial version of Speculat1on, such activity threatens our economic livelihood. However, we also understand that “modding” and other “creative” practices are an important part of fostering future talent and crowd-sourcing free content. We have thus come to a compromise that will allow the forum to continue, which involves the agreement not to publicly disclose the material you have found. By opening this email, or by logging into the forum after April 11th, 2014, you are showing your ascent to this agreement. The archive will be allowed to continue until April 15th, after which point it will be disassembled and any further attempts to make it public shall be met with legal force. A copy of the NDA text is attached to this email for your convenience.

Sincerely,

Bernard Cruft

VP, Public Relations

#5 14-04-14 09:28

I went to Brother Robot's website to see what they're all about.  I checked the source code and found this:

<head>
        <meta charset="utf-8">
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1">
        <title>BROTHER ROBOT ENTERTAINMENT</title>
        <meta name="boot" content="OK!">
        <meta name="status" content="pending">
        <meta name="connect_NEX" content="ready">
        <meta name="verification" content="transmission %n_PERCENT successful">
        <meta name="boot_history_test" content="1, 1, --, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0" >
        <meta name="version 1.0" content="extermination=true">
        <meta name="version 2.0" content="termination=true">
        <meta name="wierd_state" content="true">
        <meta name="encoding_procedure" content="city-name">
        <meta name="encoding_recursion" content="territory-name">
        <meta name="subject_" content="bureau proliferation">
        <meta name="histrionic_transmission" content="19709 19810 19734 19734 19951 19941 19801 69131 68001 69201 69033 68433 36075 35063 35060 36480 35053 35458 35062 89427 89507 89008 89822 89405 89441 89433 89407 89507 89185 89028 89447 19897 19733 19734 19732 19897 19736 . 16665 15610 15778 15705 16942 15553 19731 19732 19730 19734 19730 19703 19970 19956 32784 32168 32115 32141 32957 33401 32420 32097">
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="main.css">
    </head>

It seems connect_NEX is ready....and what's a histronic_transmission?

#6 14-04-14 09:33

JustInCayce

There were a bunch of "histrionic transmissions" in the last version of the game. They usually had to do with Nex's posts which were kind of schizophrenic and playful (e.g., 8 words long, rhyming, alliterative, embedded passwords, etc.). And that word "histrionic" usually hard to do with the historical/hysterical nature of transmissions from the future of 2036 to the present of the game in 2012.

So my guess is that this is some kind of encrypted password or code from the future.

#7 14-04-14 09:35

Kostas

Just to keep everything in one place, in case anyone is looking Brother Robot's website is, obviously enough, www.brotherrobot.com

#8 14-04-14 09:45

JustInCayce

Is the Matthew Davis on this page related to the earlier Matthew Davis from MetaCorp?

You know, this one who wouldn't hire anyone in version 1.

Or this guy from version 2 of the game.

In the end, things didn't turn out too well for that Matthew Davis in the future.

But I'm not sure how this Brother Robot Matthew Davis is related to that MetaCorp manager. Did anyone find any hints?

#9 14-04-14 10:11

forscale

We tried interpreting the histrionic transmission as a series of area codes and plotting them on a map, but we gave up because it didn't seem like it would lead anywhere. Here's the map anyways. Anyone have any other ideas about how to interpret these as area codes, or as other 5 digit numbers?

#10 14-04-14 10:28

dem0sthenes

Zip codes were the right move. The first letter of each city/county seems to spell out a message - the beginning of the "transmission" and a cue one's on the right path is a reference to Matthew Davis. Ominously, the second sentence is:

"NATION PROTOCOL UNDER WAY"

#11 14-04-14 14:02

JustInCayce

Two questions that just occurred to me:

1.) Is the player "NonDisclosureDisagreement" connected to all of this business around the NDA? S/he hasn't posted on this thread.

2.) What is going on with this timer? We're only about a day away from hitting zero. And I'm not sure what it means. Parkaboy? Tinker? Hoof? You all added the timer this time around, so what does it mean?

#12 14-04-14 14:55

They might be.  From a previous thread Tinker found this:

year of the NY-mouse           ct@brotherrobot.com     206.208.171.225
NonDisclosureDisagreement   md@brotherrobot.com   206.208.171.225

NDD might actually be Matthew Davis....

I remember reading somewhere that signing into the forum April 11th means that we agree to the NDA and that they will keep Specula1on Forum open until April 15th.  So that might be what that counter is...I'll try to find out where I saw this.

Edit: Kostas actually found something in their inbox a couple of posts up.

Kostas wrote:

I also found one in my spam box this morning. The body of the email had the following text, Parka did yours have anything similar?

To User of the Speculat1on.net Forum,

Brother Robot Entertainment Inc., has been made aware that several users of the previous Speculat1on beta test have taken it upon themselves to produce another version of the game. As legal and sole owners of the the Speculat1on intellectual property, Brother Robot sees this activity as a violation of our rights. With our impending release of the commercial version of Speculat1on, such activity threatens our economic livelihood. However, we also understand that “modding” and other “creative” practices are an important part of fostering future talent and crowd-sourcing free content. We have thus come to a compromise that will allow the forum to continue, which involves the agreement not to publicly disclose the material you have found. By opening this email, or by logging into the forum after April 11th, 2014, you are showing your ascent to this agreement. The archive will be allowed to continue until April 15th, after which point it will be disassembled and any further attempts to make it public shall be met with legal force. A copy of the NDA text is attached to this email for your convenience.

Sincerely,

Bernard Cruft

VP, Public Relations

Last edited by THe De-Lurked Lurker (14-04-14 15:54)

#13 14-04-15 19:49

Looking back, it was always fairly clear that NDD and NY-mouse were the same person. Notice their similar punning and word-play, the short times separating their posts, the similarly egregious interpretations of law that both of them seem to share.

A couple of notes:

1. The Brother Robot site states the following: "Please remember that on registering for the forum the terms and conditions included a Non-Disclosure Agreement preventing you from discussing several trade secrets and pieces of technical information." Unsurprisingly, the link 404s.

2. When I responded to this thread, the website did not exist (I checked).

3. Anyone else notice this typo in the email to Kostas? " By opening this email...you are showing your ascent to this agreement." Sloppy or meaningful?

#14 14-04-16 16:20

gasmoney

But wait! I can still post. Looks like the NDA isn't quite right. The counter is out. We're all still playing...

#15 14-05-09 13:32

wvixivw

Did we ever resolve this? Do we know what we're looking for? dem0sthenes got the second sentence but I'm having trouble with the first. The best I have is "The Davis seduces." Feel free to use this GoogleDoc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

Board footer