#1 12-04-18 10:42

laura_palmer

Narrative(s)

It might be interesteing to start a new thread to talk through some of the details that are revealed with each new internet segment, and are clearly related to some of the puzzles from the first speculat1on page.

Clearly we have two figures, q and a, one of whom is "the founder." still unclear of what-some seem to think this is the founder of metacorp, though as wvixivw pointed out, A clearly started working for metacorp after it was founded. I'm wondering if q, despite being a program, might be the founder or a part of the founder? As bee pointed out, there's also the Jerry Rotondaro figure, who I emailed but didn't get a response from. Has anyone else had luck?

the new interview segment definitely seems to imply that a is part program (either cyborg or total AI). we've also learned that A can't be trusted.

Lingering questions are... who is Nex? what is the difference between who A is and what A did? It also seems to me that the chronology of the game is really important. the new "us" link took me back to the first speculat1on page, which to me is clearly implying that we've become complicit in the future we're piecing together, both creating and changing history in multiple directions.

What are y'all thinking?? How careful should we be moving forward??

#2 12-04-18 11:24

kitu54

Re: Narrative(s)

#3 12-04-18 11:53

GreyouTT

Last edited by GreyouTT (12-04-18 11:53)

#4 12-04-18 19:35

Sho

I think that A is a machine or such. It doesn't say anythimg specificlike it was a machine/program. but there are a couple clues.

1. A didn't feel capable of surprise at the time of his survival.

2. He uses a word like, he was expected to be "deleted"

3. he says he was not "hardwired to lie"

Though that may just be their type of language at MetaCorp
It seems like they're in an age after our age A.D.

#5 12-04-19 20:16

Slometheus

Sho:

A definitely seems to have a certain machine-like quality. However, in the 2peculation document, he claims: "You might not dream. But I dream. Maybe you just call it something else.", which leads me to two conclusions; (1) Q is a machine and (2), as someone (Laura_Palmer?) else suggested, A is cyborg-like. A has both the characteristics of a human and a machine.

Moreover, there seems to be a small discussion on wether the web site metacorp.ca is related to this metacorp or not. If it is, a cyborg as something to augment mental capabilities seem to fit in their business model.

#6 12-04-23 10:57

Slometheus

#7 12-04-23 11:44

Parkaboy73
Banned

I've been thinking about the second part of "The Document" (on NEXUS02). The dream (or vision) about the swarm suggests that the interviewee is human. It's an interesting moment, anyway. The language even breaks up the more abstract description of working as a Financial Analyst for MetaCorp. I mean, it's still abstract but also visceral.

This vision of this cloud is almost a moment out of time too. It's really different from the sense of time that the interviewee describes later: "I didn't have the time to think about time anymore. But I developed a different sense of it. That's one thing for which I'm grateful to MetaCorp, even now. That consciousness of time. I never before knew the potential of a second. The bursting possibility. Not that I really understood in my days as an FA. And if I had understood, I'm not sure I would have known what to do with that time or how to occupy it."

I wonder what it means that we were given more time (24 hours of it) when the countdown restarted last night and the new NEX post went up. What do we do with time? How do we occupy it?

#8 12-04-23 18:15

lysander

#9 12-04-28 19:14

McAlec

I'm starting to think that Nex isn't just one person.

First, there's what comes up with the .png's on Nexus02 : WHAT WERE OUR NAMES CAN YOU FIND THEM

Second, in the interview segment on Nexus03, there's this :
Q: *
A: The interface severed. How long? We lost touch with you.
Q: ...?
A: I lost touch with you.

"A" seems to be correcting himself after saying We.

I'm wondering (without any sort of proof) if we are Nex.

#10 12-05-05 09:46

NEX
Administrator

#11 12-05-05 13:45

McAlec

I believe we are being told that we've missed some details that will be important later on.
I guess I'll write down some stuff that I've noticed so far:

New New York is mentioned in a document
James Powell has been followed throughout his career at MC
The story is obviously in the future (the late AD era is mentioned, the years being BR)
BR, though already noted upon, has been brought up a lot
The messages we have recieved have asked us to save our future.
Black Reticule is the interface used to interact with both markets and AIs?

Anything else?

#12 12-05-06 18:07

McAlec

When BR is a date, I think the B stands for Before.

In James Powell's resume, the dates are descending: "ANALYST, CITICORP, NEW YORK, NY - BR 15-12"

#13 12-05-07 10:15

scythe2112

How about BR standing for Black Reticule? Like BR meaning "after Black Reticule was introduced/launched/etc.", presuming these two letters are indeed a date.

Edit: Done some thinking and looking through documents, it may be you are right after all, McAlec. One thing that  I find interesting is that seemingly events that happend in the past are labeled witht a higher number than events happening later, or at the time of writing, as you stated before, but I overlooked at the time of writing. This strengthens your hypothesis that the "B" indeed stands for "before", much like in BC. But two things I want to note about that:
1. "R" can still stand for reticule, so BR meaning "before Black Reticule was introduced" or something similar
2. It's odd that you would use some event in the FUTURE to denote which year you are in, except this event is inevitable and you count towards it - which, in the light of the narrative, gives some unsettling possibilities of it's own

Last edited by scythe2112 (12-05-07 11:41)

#14 12-05-07 12:42

McAlec

I haven't reviewed documents specifically looking for this, but it seems that black reticle is mentioned in years that are BR.

I feel as though "R" denotes some event that has been predicted in the future. Maybe it is reticle, but with a different connotation? Could the Reticle be an event that is being counted down to?

#15 12-05-08 05:38

Another possibility is that BR could stand for Before Reveneural.

Last edited by girlwhoruledtheworld (12-05-08 05:38)

#16 12-05-11 10:51

scythe2112

Last edited by scythe2112 (12-05-11 17:29)

#17 12-05-11 23:48

Scythe, I get the same feeling. Although to me, it seems much more like Skynet. I'm also not convinced anymore that higher BR numbers are earlier years - otherwise, why would a BR8 memo refer to a BR9 date as the target for a future event?

I'm convinced that BR12 is the year we want to look at here. All the internal memos seem to have the property that lower BR numbers are earlier years. The YOU.mp3 message is from BR12. James Powell, who it looks like will be a major player in this saga (and, if my guess is right, is at least one of Nex, A., or the sender of YOU.mp3), was hired and presumably fired in BR12.

Which, of course, begs the question, why is the James Powell story on one timeline (BR19-BR12, going forward) and the MetaCorp story on another (BR1-BR12, going forward)?

#18 12-05-12 08:47

Parkaboy73
Banned

In the new Nexus 5 icon links, the last one leads to text that reads "But I thought I could recalibrrrate or fabrrricate a better BR." That seems related to the chronology of things.

Board footer