#1 12-05-04 23:07

LEVEL 4/7DEADROPS

I haven't taken a closer look at the words on the webpage, however the password to the 1% icon is NexUs005.

A new letter appears each time something is put into each password space and read down the page.

Last edited by girlwhoruledtheworld (12-05-06 00:41)

#2 12-05-05 18:14

McAlec

Re: LEVEL 4/7DEADROPS

I'm looking at the first section of text, and the gist of it is that there are three deaddrops (like in geocaching) in each of three American cities that we must find and send to Nex in the future to battle Metacorp.

The first clue is "look under your seat to find something neat"
I take this to refer to Oprah's famous audience giveaways. As she is based in Chicago, it's probably there.

Second: "where air flows past stones that is its home"

Third: "up under the stair is the secret lair"
Seattle?

Fourth: "Something neural near the mural"

Fifth: "just on a lark find the benchmark"

Sixth: "walk to the top then four and stop"

Seventh: "look for the note in the library moat"

Eighth: "find yourself free at the abandoned factory'

Ninth: "find halls lane a new clue obtain"
There is a Halls lane in Waterloo

I've noted that the clues are all in iambs. In poetry, the iamb signifies a heartbeat, and anything written in iambs is something emotional (i.e. close to the heart)

*EDIT I've tried deciphering the second text, but it doesn't seem to be anything. Maybe a deaddrop will tell us how?

Last edited by McAlec (12-05-07 20:53)

#3 12-05-06 12:49

scythe2112

Yay figured this one out! If you enter text into the boxes, note that instead of *** it is concealed by letters. So from 1 to 8 the letters read: NexUs005

Which incidentally is the password for 7DEADROPS. ;)

Last edited by scythe2112 (12-05-06 13:13)

#4 12-05-09 01:19

The second text is the locations of the deaddrops. It's a double substitution cipher with the key being the first message and the encoded text being the second text.

Using this (and correcting for errors either in encryption or decoding), I get:

first north three six point zero four eight eight four west zero seven nine point zero six eight one eight
second north three six point zero zero five one zero west zero seven eight point nine one four seven four
third north three six point zero zero six six three west seven eight point nine one two nine eight
fourth north four one point seven nine one five eight west eight seven point five eight seven nine two two
fifth north four one point seven eight seven five four five west eight seven point five nine nine six eight eight
sixth north four one point seven eight eight nine nine three west eight seven point five nine eight five nine seven
seventh north four three point four six nine four zero four west eight zero point five four two one four four
eighth north four three point four five seven nine seven two west eight zero point four nine eight nine seven two
ninth north four three point four four nine four nine nine west eight zero point four eight nine seven two nine
(at this point, it devolves into "end of message" repeats)

So, entering these coordinates into Google Maps:

Dead Drop #1: 2219 Running Pine Court, Hillsborough, NC, "under your seat"
Dead Drop #2: campus of Duke University, near 1364 Campus Drive, Durham, NC, "where air flows past stones"
Dead Drop #3: 479-499 N Buchanan Blvd, Durham, NC, maps to a parking lot outside Crowell building on Duke campus, "up under the stair"
Deap Drop #4: 805 Country Club Drive, La Grange, IL, "near the mural"
Dead Drop #5: statue of Carl von Linne (aka Carolus Linnaeus) outside the University of Chicago campus on E. 59th Street (maybe on a bench?)
Dead Drop #6: Walker Museum on campus of University of Chicago (presumably near the stairs on the top floor?)
Dead Drop #7: 213 Erb Street W, Waterloo, ON, Dana Porter Library on campus of University of Waterloo "in the library moat"
Dead Drop #8: 118-152 Shanley Street (corner of Shanley and Duke), Kitchener, ON "at the abandoned factory"
Dead Drop #9: Halls Ln W between Ontario Street and Queen Street, Kitchener, ON

#5 12-05-09 03:25

scythe2112

ok, that is interesting. seems the password I found had nothing to do with this text. And damn it, this makes me hate living in Europe and thus beeing unable to visit just one of these locations.

#6 12-05-09 05:14

McAlec

I have some friends in the Kitchener/Waterloo area that I could ask a favour of, if there's no one in the forum that can.

#7 12-05-09 08:20

Parkaboy73
Banned

I'm unfortunately not in range now but I remember someone mentioning the Logan Arts Center at University of Chicago in an earlier post. That might be nearby location #5 or #6.

#8 12-05-09 10:46

Hollywood

I'm in Kitchener-Waterloo, I can check those spots out. I live near University of Waterloo, and work near the Kitchener drops.

I'm confused by Dead Drop 7 thought - Dana Porter Library isn't located on Erb St.

I've never looked for a geocache before. Any idea what I should watch out for?

#9 12-05-09 13:12

Adrasteia

I'm looking for 5 and 6.  I need help finding 5. benches just around the statue or in the surrounding area?

I think I found 6... a flash drive. I left the flash drive there in case anyone else wants to look at the actual files. Walker 504.  I really hope this is the object I was to find and not a professors personal files...

ok, tech savy people...how do i upload the files to here?

#10 12-05-09 13:16

scythe2112

You can't, I supose. But you can use a filehoster like rapidshare or the likes to upload them and post the link here then. Oh and good work, btw!

#11 12-05-09 13:18

Adrasteia

#12 12-05-09 13:21

scythe2112

Hm, somehow I just get the google drives frontpage, but can't download anything. Or I'm too stupid, what I don't hope

Edit: Wait, I'm stupid after all, works fine. Checking the contents now

Edit2: Looks genuine to me, at least the subject the files are about fit the narrative.

Last edited by scythe2112 (12-05-09 13:27)

#13 12-05-09 13:50

McAlec

Some of the documents had letters or parts of words that were left unhighlighted. Right now, it spells TWecitywh

Maybe this is a red herring, but it might coincide with the other deaddrops.

Last edited by McAlec (12-05-09 13:50)

#14 12-05-09 17:49

Adrasteia

#5.

ok....I've searched every bench to the best of my abilities near and in the surrounding areas of the statue....and three bunnies and a lot of squirrels running off with things later....nada -_-

anyone else want to give it a go? maybe my eyes aren't what they never were...
or hints?

#15 12-05-09 18:07

Hollywood

Last edited by Hollywood (12-05-09 19:33)

#16 12-05-09 19:39

Hollywood

#17 12-05-09 21:33

McAlec

Hollywood, Is the order of the poems random? I think that the letters that are off-brick continue our code.

Also, I'm proud of myself for getting the American Psycho reference.

Last edited by McAlec (12-05-09 21:34)

#18 12-05-09 21:54

Hollywood

Last edited by Hollywood (12-05-09 22:04)

#19 12-05-09 22:07

Good work, wish I could be there :D I went back to look at generic's post- and I got different locations for drops 3 and 4.
Drop3: Co-ordinates: N36.00663 W78.91298--Duke Campus, go down Epworth Dorm Ln, near Crowell Building, turn and take that road.
Drop4: Co-ordinates: N41.79158 W87.587922-- 1523 East 57th Street, Chicago IL (looks like a undercover tunnel?)

Adrasteria, what colour was the USB you found? Perhaps something either white, red or grey would be a marker of Nex.

Edit: All those poems have the word love in it.

Last edited by girlwhoruledtheworld (12-05-09 22:28)

#20 12-05-09 23:05

Adrasteia

#21 12-05-24 06:36

Hey, thought I would do a quick status summary of the dead drops, since it ties into specul4tion+1/EMAILME

Dead Drop #1: Unknown status
Dead Drop #2: Unknown status
Dead Drop #3: Unknown status
Deap Drop #4: Unknown status
Dead Drop #5: Looked for by Adrasteia, not found
Dead Drop #6: Found by Adrasteia
Dead Drop #7: Looked for by Hollywood, not found
Dead Drop #8: Looked for by Hollywood, not found
Dead Drop #9: Found by Hollywood

#22 12-05-24 06:49

Hollywood

For 7 I would put "A.D. 1964" with an asterisk, as that could potentially be it.

#23 12-05-24 09:04

Parkaboy73
Banned

Looking back on this thread, Adrasteia posted the text of the #5 file. Hollywood, did you post #9 after you found it? How does it compare to #5?

And, then, how does this relate to the email that genericboringposter and McAlec found on the other thread?

#24 12-05-24 17:16

Hollywood

Yep, I posted screens of 9 above. They are excerpts from poems - don't really see the relation to the citigroup files.

#25 12-05-24 17:49

Parkaboy73
Banned

Based on what McAlec posted on specul4tion+1/7EMAILME (the response received from Nex), I'm not sure if they are related. But we need to send something.

His interpretation of "Eight-Entity exegeses expected" was "The exegeses are supposed to be eight words long."

Board footer