#1 12-05-13 12:09

specul4tion+1/6MDNCHINA

#2 12-05-13 20:10

McAlec

Re: specul4tion+1/6MDNCHINA

的 is the most recurring character, but I can't get it to work as the password...
Translates to of/aim
Phonetically pronounced as de or dì
8 strokes

Last edited by McAlec (12-05-13 20:30)

#3 12-05-13 21:18

Krushnik

I'm not sure, I tried everything I could think of including translating the entire document counting the english words then translating the most common back and it didn't work either.

#4 12-05-15 07:41

There are two bold characters in the body of the document, 强 and 别 that stood out. I asked someone what it meant, the first character means strong, the second character means the difference.

strong: google's version 强烈
the difference: google's version 区别

On the yellowbridge site, if you look up a word in the dictionary- there's a option for strokes. The site will draw the character for you so you can count the number of strokes taken.

Last edited by girlwhoruledtheworld (12-05-16 08:11)

#5 12-05-18 20:49

McAlec

Girlwhoruledtheworld: I tried both of them with their various pronunciations and neither work...

#6 12-05-19 17:06

NEX
Administrator

#7 12-05-22 00:34

I'm officially lost at this point. I'm pretty sure that Phonetic Spelling refers to English Phonetic Spelling (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc.) but I have no idea what the Most Recurring Character is (is it the most recurring in the memo? in Chinese? in this game?) and I have no idea what the Number of Strokes Required is (is it the number of strokes required to write the character in Chinese? the number of strokes required to write all of that character in the document? the number of keystrokes required to enter the password?).

By the way, on an entertaining tangent, I thought for a while that the non-Chinese characters might count. In the document there are 35 commas and 20 or 24 instances of the letter e depending on if you count the web address or not. I'm pretty sure that isn't what we're supposed to be looking at.

#8 12-05-22 13:18

McAlec

Last edited by McAlec (12-05-22 18:31)

#9 12-05-22 23:57

McAlec, I've tried everything I could possibly think of using the standard definitions of "phonetic spelling" (Pinyin phonetic translation), "character" (a single ideogram), and "strokes" (number of brush strokes needed to make the character). Nothing worked, which means either I'm doing something horribly wrong, or one or more of those definitions is not what we need to solve the clue. Nex's post indicates that the latter is likely. The problem is that I have no idea which of those definitions is wrong: Does phonetic spelling refer to the Pinyin translation or the English Phonetic Spelling of (Pinyin translation/something else)? Does character refer to a single ideogram or to a character in a work of fiction? Does stroke refer to a brush stroke or a keystroke? Does "required" mean required to write the character, required to type the password, required for something else? It's entirely possible I'm overanalyzing this here, but I'm pretty sure this one is going to require some out-of-the-box thinking.

#10 12-05-23 05:00

McAlec

Not to mention the hint that we've received, which could mean any number of things too...

#11 12-05-23 07:23

Hollywood

My guess was that if we can find the translation for Meta - that might be the character. That is assuming the document is about metacorp. My computer crashes when I play around with those characters though.

#12 12-05-23 11:18

McAlec

I've already tried that approach and it didn't work. There's a line in the document that translates to: Count word heavy ኞ / operator ➙ painting yellowbridge.com

It might mean something, but google seems to suck at translating mandarin.

#13 12-05-23 12:48

Hoof

I'm on my phone right now so I can't download the .pdf but did anybody check the file's metadata? Maybe that's what NEX's clue meant.

#14 12-05-23 16:19

McAlec

I've looked up metadata and have found nothing telling me how to view it (if that's even the right verb to use).

#15 12-05-23 19:14

Vampyrik

A bit new to the hunt, so pretty far behind. I downloaded the .pdf and checked out the metadata. I found this character 融 in the information. When translated, it came up as the word rong with a ' over the "o". Defined as harmonious; melt; mild and it is 10 strokes.

edit - thinking about it more, "rong" does sound a lot like "wrong"

Last edited by Vampyrik (12-05-23 19:15)

#16 12-05-23 22:29

Parkaboy73
Banned

Nice character find on the metadata, Vampyrik! And welcome to the forum. We could certainly use more help going forward. We have 6/8 passwords for this Nexus.

This rong/wrong word play sounds clever enough to be right. I wonder what's missing. How did you get 10 strokes?

#17 12-05-24 00:01

Nice find, Vampyrik! If you go on yellowbridge.com, there's a character stroke order animation, which gives 16 strokes.

Parkaboy, good idea - it is right! Wrong016 gives me the red highlight.

EDIT: I think the last passcode for this level is now just dependent on us figuring out how many of us have to send what to that e-mail address in 7EMAILME.

Last edited by genericboringposter (12-05-24 00:04)

Board footer